Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Climate Change

Default Re: Climate Change

Quote Strato said View Post
    This is insidious. I am sure Tim Tams and Cartwheels and ice creams aren't as big as they originally were. They get away with it by gradualism. They think we won't notice, anyway we have to suck it up.

No there's a valid scientific explanation that completely absolves the wagon wheel makers of responsibility, it's evolution, we are evolving to be bigger but we forgot to scale up the wagon wheels to match, don't you know those things used to be the actual size of wagon wheels Where exactly so you think the name came from?

See here's one from a few years ago when everyone was a lot smaller!
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

Quote stevebrooks said View Post
    Quote Strato said View Post
    This is insidious. I am sure Tim Tams and Cartwheels and ice creams aren't as big as they originally were. They get away with it by gradualism. They think we won't notice, anyway we have to suck it up.

No there's a valid scientific explanation that completely absolves the wagon wheel makers of responsibility, it's evolution, we are evolving to be bigger but we forgot to scale up the wagon wheels to match, don't you know those things used to be the actual size of wagon wheels Where exactly so you think the name came from?

See here's one from a few years ago when everyone was a lot smaller!
    You're getting your small people from the folks who do these packaging photos, aren't you?
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

3. Laugh button Strato laughed at this post
    Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

It's insidious.

Toblerone (another company owned by whoever bought Kraft) tried this one on their UK customers:

Linky to article
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

I'm sure anyone who keeps track of climate science and has made an effort to understand some of its basic machinations is well aware that one ought to be careful when attributing isolated weather events to climate change. But that's hard to do when climate modelling predicts the greater likelihood of certain weather patterns that then actually start happening.

Of particular interest for us Australians both from a scientific, but perhaps more pressingly, a sociological and political perspective is the drought in South Africa.

Cape Town to run out of water by 12 April amid worst drought in a century

Residents will have to queue at standpipes for daily rations unless they drastically reduce consumption.

As Cape Town suffers its worst drought in a century, residents have been warned that they face losing piped water to their homes on 12 April – nine days earlier than predicted.

If drastic consumption reductions are not achieved by “Day Zero”, people will have to queue at 200 standpipes for daily rations of 25 litres (6.6 US gallons), residents were told on Tuesday.
    The city, which attracts millions of tourists every year, has enforced strict waste controls including prosecution of homeowners who use more than the current 50-litre daily limit.

A typical shower uses 15 litres per minute while a standard toilet consumes 15 litres per flush, according to WaterWise, a South African water usage awareness campaign.

“Due to a drop in the dam levels of 1.4%, Day Zero has, as of today, moved forward to 12 April,” said deputy mayor Ian Neilson in a statement.

Every day that consumption exceeds 500 million litres, so-called Day Zero – the last day of normal water supply – draws closer.
    My bold.TheGuardian

Increased prolonged drought is often modelled as an outcome of climate change in Australia, including impacts on major population centres. We should watch RSA carefully in regard to how people and government deal with this. I hope our government is watching.

25 litres a day? How will Malcolm Turnbull water his lawn?
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

6. Thank button wadaye, Strato thanked this post

This latest record breaking Arctic warmth anomaly could bode ill for climate change trends.

Predictions are always subject to revision. We are in uncharted waters. Methane is the big one. There is much stored in the Arctic, in Siberian permafrost.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.