Thread: Spiritus Nullius

Cool Spiritus Nullius

The Holy Ghost/Spirit may tend to be ignored, but is a significant aspect of Religion. Science has no need of an Elan Vital to explain "life", as all can be covered by Materialism. Yes, we Humans are merely a complex chemical process, which ceases at death.
    Trouble is, the Ancients, observing a person dying, mistook the Last Breath (exhaling CO2) as the spirit or soul leaving the body.
    "Spirituality" is the phlogiston theory of Religion. We may have a Human 'vegetable' but not a disembodied 'spirit'.
    Of course, there is that refined emotion, or 'spiritual' experience, when we contemplate the vast stellar universe - and no one is denying that.
    But nought else. The word 'spirit' comes from same etymological source as ex-spire, re-spire, and even, in-spire.
    Let PG Wodehouse have the last word (eg. "Speaking in Tongues?").
    "Can you speak Spanish?" "I don't know, I've never tried."

2. Like button Darwinsbulldog, DanDare, Strato liked this post

Default Re: Spiritus Nullius

Quote Don L H said View Post
    The Holy Ghost/Spirit may tend to be ignored, but is a significant aspect of Religion. Science has no need of an Elan Vital to explain "life", as all can be covered by Materialism. Yes, we Humans are merely a complex chemical process, which ceases at death.
    Trouble is, the Ancients, observing a person dying, mistook the Last Breath (exhaling CO2) as the spirit or soul leaving the body.
    "Spirituality" is the phlogiston theory of Religion. We may have a Human 'vegetable' but not a disembodied 'spirit'.
    Of course, there is that refined emotion, or 'spiritual' experience, when we contemplate the vast stellar universe - and no one is denying that.
    But nought else. The word 'spirit' comes from same etymological source as ex-spire, re-spire, and even, in-spire.
    Let PG Wodehouse have the last word (eg. "Speaking in Tongues?").
    "Can you speak Spanish?" "I don't know, I've never tried."
    It is hard for some people to understand that there can be such a thing as "spiritual materialism", that reality/nature is both necessary and sufficient to create things of vast wonder. No need for skyhooks, as Dan Dennett would say.

Even more beautiful is that fact that we have the proper tool to explore nature [science], and our appreciation of nature is actually deepened when we know how it works. It don't make sunsets or butterflies any less beautiful by knowing how they came to be.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

4. Like button Voltairine, Strato, Blue Lightning liked this post

Carl Sagan suggested abandoning the term "spiritual" altogether and replacing it with "a sense of the numinous". However numinous leads back to deities so I'm inclined to go back to one of the forms of love used by the Greeks "agape", love of everyone and beholding with surprise and wonder. (all six forms: eros, philia, ludus, agape, pragma and philautia)
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

It's a wonderful universe. The Big Amaze is part of that.

Natural wonder is naturally wonderful: no "super" required.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

7. Laugh button DanDare laughed at this post

Stupefaction is the word for beholding the night sky in the desert or the Hubble images or reading a Brian Greene book on theoretical physics.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

9. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post

Quote Strato said View Post
    Stupefaction is the word for beholding the night sky in the desert or the Hubble images or reading a Brian Greene book on theoretical physics.
    Yes but "I am stupefied" doesn't sound as good as "I am agape".
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

11. Laugh button Strato laughed at this post

The Greek words for the several kinds of love are expounded in Christian sermons on the love of God.

They misappropriate the Greeks.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

The Greek words for the several kinds of love are expounded in Christian sermons on the love of God.

And only St Catherine of Siena is allowed ἔρως (eros)?
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

To be fair, christians misappropriated more than just the Greeks.

Hijacking other philosophical traditions is a christian sport.
    "Send me money, send me green, heaven you will meet. Make your contribution and you'll get a better seat" - Metallica, Leper Messiah

15. Like button Blue Lightning liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post