Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Quote stylofone said View Post
    Quote cyclist said View Post
    Just heard Antony Green discussing the pockets of Sydney that heavily voted No. Like Bruce, they're areas with a large number of non-english speaking migrants from areas of the world where LGBTIQ rights aren't recognised at all.

As always, it's disappointing to realise that people think this way, but I recognise that my own views on this area have changed over time, I'd like to think that the longer they stay in Australia, the more their views will come around to what we see as inherently right.
    I heard this from Antony Green too. It was ever thus, that immigrant communities bring some of these views with them. They'll learn from this vote, and hopefully the views will change faster than those of immigrants from earlier times. Also, the children of those immigrants will be a whole different story, so they're the ones we can hope to influence.
    I'd like to think that once the bill passes parliament, and SSM starts actually happening that it will change opinions quicker. Hopefully, once people realise that same sex couples are just like heterosexual couples and that the world hasn't ended, views will change.

What a fucking day for Australia!!!!!

Marriage equality - check
    World Cup of football qualification - check
    Adani mine ditched - ....
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

3. Like button wolty, Blue Lightning liked this post

[OT]We're going to Russia!!! [/OT]
    "Just stick to the idea that science is just about making descriptive models of natural phenomena, whose emergent predictions are tested to destruction" - Woof!
    "Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman

I sat in my work ute listening to the result, almost bashing the steering wheel when all the preamble was being read out. As soon as I heard 'the yes vote - 7 million...' I burst into tears. Tears of joy.
    The world got a little bit better today.

Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

6. Like button hackenslash liked this post

Quote Fie said View Post
    I sat in my work ute listening to the result, almost bashing the steering wheel when all the preamble was being read out. As soon as I heard 'the yes vote - 7 million...' I burst into tears. Tears of joy.
    The world got a little bit better today.

Very similar experience, in the car, burst into tears. Cried again over going to Russia. What a day. If Australia was a stock, itís bullish. And while weíre on a roll, letís sort out a couple of other things.
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

8. Like button hackenslash liked this post

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    What a fucking day for Australia!!!!!

Adani mine ditched - ....
    trying ...

if anyone wants to help, just join one of the QLD elections phone banks. http://action.getup.org.au/upcoming_events.
    The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it. (Osho)

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    I know the vic electorate of Bruce. My brother lives there. High proportion of Asian, especially Chinese, communities. I suspect more traditional conservative beliefs hold sway in these households. The other factor in Bruce is the shockingly large number of churches. Every imaginable variety on offer, or so it seems.
    Bruce has the highest proportion of non English speakers in Victoria (52.6%), Calwell has the highest proportion of Muslims and I think Catholics too in Victoria.

The no vote in Victoria definitely appears be driven by religion, as much as the no campaigners try to deny it.

What bothers me is these areas have large minority group populations, they should understand what it is to be judged by the rest of the population and told how to (or not to) live, you think they would realize that, I guess not.*

The same thing bothered me from fellow Jews that were staunchly anti refugees.. Considering Australia's history pre and post WW2, like the response at the Evian conference and quotas post WW2, I always thought they should have known better (the attitude towards other minorities always freaked me out growing up).

* The west African christian lady from Bruce they interviewed on ABS this morning was classic, she complained this was supposed to be a multicultural society so how could this happen (she seemed to think multi cultural meant she could impose her religious beliefs on others and shouldn't be confronted by this sort of thing).
    "Faith: not wanting to know what is true" - Nietzsche

ďReligion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.Ē - Mikhail Bakunin

11. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

Quote joele said View Post
    * The west African christian lady from Bruce they interviewed on ABS this morning was classic, she complained this was supposed to be a multicultural society so how could this happen (she seemed to think multi cultural meant she could impose her religious beliefs on others and shouldn't be confronted by this sort of thing).
    This doesn't surprise me at all. For the religious multiculturalism has always been that these people are from other countries and cultures, they are now in our country therefore they should follow out culture (where whatever christian denomination they are part of is "our culture")

It's time that it was made clear to the religious that "our culture" is an amalgam of all the cultures in Australia, otherwise they will find themselves more and more sidelined as they become a minority. Not really a bad outcome I guess.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

14. Like button odd liked this post
    odd is offline I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord. Moderator

Here I have been railing against the thing the whole time, and now I think it was worth it. I am sure it is an unintended consequence - but the validation that the majority have your back is something it appears difficult to put a price tag on...

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess