Thread: China’s quantum satellite achieves ‘spooky action’ at record distance

Default China’s quantum satellite achieves ‘spooky action’ at record distance

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...ecord-distance

Quantum entanglement—physics at its strangest—has moved out of this world and into space. In a study that shows China's growing mastery of both the quantum world and space science, a team of physicists reports that it sent eerily intertwined quantum particles from a satellite to ground stations separated by 1200 kilometers, smashing the previous world record. The result is a stepping stone to ultrasecure communication networks and, eventually, a space-based quantum internet.
    what the Chinese intend to do with it is

China set to build a 'completely new internet'

https://www.blackwaterherald.com.au/...ernet/3191215/

N A bid to build an entirely new kind of internet - completely secure and impervious to hackers - China has pulled off a major feat in particle physics.
    Chinese scientists have set a new distance record for beaming a pair of entangled particles: photons of light that behave like twins and experience the exact same things simultaneously, even though they're separated by great distances.

innaresting ...
    The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it. (Osho)

2. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post

Default Re: China’s quantum satellite achieves ‘spooky action’ at record distance

This immediately makes me think of the science fiction concept of the Ansible, although a quick bit of reading reveals that entanglement as we understand it does not allow faster than light communication, and the goal here is encryption.

I'm a huge fan of Ursula le Guin, who coined the term Ansible. I am incurably attracted more to science fiction than science fact, although it's cringeworthy when people get them mixed up!

Default Re: China’s quantum satellite achieves ‘spooky action’ at record distance

Well, the PRC is a state hacking organisation. Projection I guess. Since they are trying spy hacks on the rest of the world, they want their own net to be safe.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.