Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reminder: Internet Atheists Fucking Suck

Default Re: A Reminder: Internet Atheists Fucking Suck

And last but not least, the woman posting below could have been me, but it wasnt. I and plenty other women I know have shared similar experiences and that is why I started WWR.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    We are the daughters of the witches they weren't able to burn.

2. Like button Beatrice liked this post

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Please pardon my poor inferential and analytical skills whilst reading your linked source but from what I can understand, SJW is nowadays a pejorative word used to describe those who are narrow-minded, arrogant and intolerant of others' differences. Is that so?

I'm confused... OP has claimed that the cis white males are 'anti-SJW'... I've trouble double-parsing this though.

Quote Azurisan21 said View Post
    Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Please pardon my poor inferential and analytical skills whilst reading your linked source but from what I can understand, SJW is nowadays a pejorative word used to describe those who are narrow-minded, arrogant and intolerant of others' differences. Is that so?

I'm confused... OP has claimed that the cis white males are 'anti-SJW'... I've trouble double-parsing this though.
    No, Azu.

From the source: "a once-positive term which has devolved into a snarl word today. "

So, it's a put-down term. A fairly useless one, as "Users of the term usually claim to label a specific kind of social justice advocate, rather than stereotyping all social justice activism as negative. However, the considerable variety in definitions used makes the term next to useless as a descriptor. "

In other words, it's a piece of lazy thinking, as it doesn't accurately describe.

It's also against the general way of doing things here in AFA Forums, as it's directed against a person rather than an act or attitude.

For a final acid test, look at the posts of anybody who deploys the term. You'll generally find they are of little moral worth: I'd bet a few kilos of good cheese on it.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

5. Like button THWOTH, 142857, Annie, hackenslash, Beatrice liked this post
    Thank button Annie thanked this post

This has been brewing for some time. It's one of the reasons I started the thread that some of us have access to about "What do we want?".

The difficulty is that as atheism becomes more acceptable then more of the dogmatists move easily over to it. It is one of the reasons I stick to what PZMyers calls "dictionary atheism". i.e. its just a lack of belief in gods, not a world view. I too reserve humanism for my description of how I approach the world.

A problem is retreating from spaces, retreating from the use of terms, that use to give us all room to express what needs to be expressed. It reminds me of my younger days playing in game clubs. They were great, but a lot of members were immature. They would argue rules. Throw dice across the room in a rage. Sulk. But they kept coming back while the more rational people would stop coming. Eventually the club was horrible and there was no point going if you weren't one of the huff n puff boys.

This forum is great because of its moderation rules and a moderation team that really works the task. The idea of limiting badly behaved people to a "naughty room" where they may continue to express themselves and the rest can "visit" is a great idea.

Out there in unmoderated land, where we don't control the rules of engagement, we need to find a way to bring those rules forward. And support one another.When we did that on the ABC religion section though they shut comments down. Oh well.

Sorry, end rant. I just want so much to think of something useful to do about it all.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

The world clamors with claims made without compelling evidence. Among these claims is that broadly made by theism, and it seems society is content to require only those who reject the claim of theism to wear a label.

It is a label that already carries a heavy negative connotation, and the best thing we can do if we seek to undo the negative stereotypes largely and historically put forth from the pulpit is to consistently demonstrate by our actions that these stereotypes are unjustly deserved. These internet bashers do as much harm to our cause as any preacher can do, perhaps even more.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...ó Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

8. Like button Annie, Strato liked this post
    Thank button Annie thanked this post

Check your privilege!
    ...never eat your own nose...

10. Thank button Annie thanked this post

Quote Azurisan21 said View Post
    An example of SJW type behaviour would be someone who thinks that white people shouldn't sell burritos.

An allegation like this will cause outrage among people (anti-SJW) who generally will A) not bother to check whether the incident really happened and B) use the incident as an excuse for their own racism C) allege that anyone who is opposed to racism is proscriptive and overzealous, even those who have nuanced or moderate views.

The anti-SJW feels that all the racism and sexism and injustice in the world - the pay inequality, the child mortality, the police brutality etc.- are not as bad as the distress they feel when they imagine a white person not being allowed to sell burritos. Unfortunately many of these ranting fools spout this garbage in the name of atheism.

The pinnacle of the ranting fools is Donald Trump, who rails agaist political correctness at every possible opportunity.

12. Like button DanDare, Annie liked this post
    Thank button Beatrice thanked this post

Here are some more responses that are typical when we talk about this.

14. Like button Beatrice liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, 142857, Strato thanked this post

And...

16. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, 142857, Strato thanked this post

The same article was posted to the AFA Facebook page and it invited quite different responses. Many followers there argued the point of the article.

Last edited by Annie; 17th June 2017 at 10:33 AM.

18. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post