Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Margaret Court

Default Re: Margaret Court

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Perhaps Marg could take her message of anti-LGBTQI hatred to Indonesia, where that sort of rubbish is currently in vogue.

No QANTAS, let her walk there like Jeebus.
    Or go on an old leaky boat, perhaps?

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    Or go on an old leaky boat, perhaps?
    Or a million dollar yacht--provided she drops off the edge of the Earth!

Some advantage to being a flat-Earther after all!
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Again, David Pope owns the situation.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

4. Like button two dogs, DanDare liked this post

I absolutely do not agree with Margaret Courts position, and when she said that she was going to boycott Qantas, I thought zero fucks would be given.

But people got upset. Now even though I support equal marriage 100%, I appreciate that either some people don't support it or don't care, ie it isn't the centre of their universe.

Removing someone's sporting legacy because they say something that quite a few disagree with isn't a sign of a free and democratic society.

Some businesses have jumped on the equal marriage bandwagon. If I was running a business, I would be very careful in stating a position on a political issue, as you risk alienating clients. The car community is conservative, and Holden's support of the Mardi Gras raised many an eyebrow.
    ....Coveting my neighbours ass since May 2007....

Quote c2105026 said View Post
    I absolutely do not agree with Margaret Courts position, and when she said that she was going to boycott Qantas, I thought zero fucks would be given.

But people got upset. Now even though I support equal marriage 100%, I appreciate that either some people don't support it or don't care, ie it isn't the centre of their universe.

Removing someone's sporting legacy because they say something that quite a few disagree with isn't a sign of a free and democratic society.

Some businesses have jumped on the equal marriage bandwagon. If I was running a business, I would be very careful in stating a position on a political issue, as you risk alienating clients. The car community is conservative, and Holden's support of the Mardi Gras raised many an eyebrow.
    Court has parlayed her sporting career into a religious one, and is now extending that into a political matter.

I don't give a fig about tennis, but her bigotry is out of line.
    EJB

7. Like button joele, WesternGeo, DanDare liked this post

Removing a sporting legacy?

Arenas are renamed all the fucking time, for one thing. For another, taking her name off it in response to public ire is precisely a thing done in free and democratic societies.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    -Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Quote Goldenmane said View Post

Arenas are renamed all the fucking time, for one thing. For another, taking her name off it in response to public ire is precisely a thing done in free and democratic societies.

I could understand renaming something and to wipe out their legacy might be appropriate if someone did horrible, horrible crimes such as pedophilia or murder (eg. Jimmy Savile's legacies have all been obliterated) but for simply stating an opinion that many disagree with, it might be overkill.

If you want to remove the legacy of celebrities who have politically incorrect views (or actions), you may well have a very, very long list.

Quote Goldenmane said View Post

I could understand renaming something and to wipe out their legacy might be appropriate if someone did horrible, horrible crimes such as pedophilia or murder (eg. Jimmy Savile's legacies have all been obliterated) but for simply stating an opinion that many disagree with, it might be overkill.

If you want to remove the legacy of celebrities who have politically incorrect views (or actions), you may well have a very, very long list.
    "Politically incorrect" be buggered, lustily, with a misshapen sweet-potato. Court was something once, and has diminished by several orders of magnitude over time.

She is now a fundie pastor, and her bigoted colours are thus nailed to the mast of her sinking garbage scow.

There was once a man who held rather a high office in Australia. When I lived in Canberra, that man could be seen at the local shops, openly leering at young women and girls. (I suspect medical science was not as well-informed on Alzheimers and similar conditions back then.)

While that man's war efforts and later political status were not diminished, he was still an embarrassment.
    EJB

11. Like button DanDare liked this post

Interesting argument, doesn't have a leg to stand on I am afraid.

You see we are all keen to boycott and ban the buying of goods from companies, even vilify members of that company if they don't support us on human rights that we think are obvious and should be brought to an end, such as child labour in India and Bangladesh. You can't in one voice attack them for not supporting one human right and then condemn them for supporting another human right.

Like it or not this isn't a political issue even though its opponents paint it as one, it's a human rights issue being used as a political football!

You want companies to act ethically then you can't condemn their leaders for supporting what they see as a human right. If you want companies to put their foot down and stop buying stuff from countries that have slavery and child labour then you are infusing these companies with an ethical and moral responsibility to do what they think is right. You cant attack them for then doing that just when that ethical and moral responsibility isn't one you agree with.

Note the above is a rhetorical position, not directly attacking anyone here.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

13. Like button Soup Dragon, DanDare liked this post

Many companies do have underlying values that are pro social justice, environmental, equality, corporate responsibility etc. however stating a position on a specific political or human right issue can be very risky, depending on the issue and the company's client base. Ultimately such positions can form part of the brand (especially if it's used in marketing) and consumers can decide if they want that association or not.

I will be honest - I am indifferent to to morality of companies in my purchasing decisions. Every large business has at least one skeleton in the closet regarding various things. It's down to product, service and price. My purchasing decisions won't change humanity's lot a jot. Everything I use and buy has negative baggage attached to it.

It's nice that Joyce supports equal marriage, but such a statement won't bring it any closer, sadly. Likewise as an active citizen Margaret Court has the right to criticise such a position. In saying that, Ms Court did look a bit silly, thinking that anyone, especially QANTAS would give a shit. Likewise, people have the right to engage with her position in an appropriate manner. Stripping her name off things isn't appropriate.