Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workplace discrimination

Default Workplace discrimination

How common is it against an atheist?

Default Re: Workplace discrimination

What has Google to say on the matter, for example?
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

I've personally never been in a workplace where the issue of religious stance was discussed. At work I have become friends with people who turn out to be pentacostal, muslim, hindi, catholic and jewish as well as atheist and apatheist. That's always been a somewhat "and also" extra thing. We have usually engaged more over programming theory and techniques, role playing games, and one friend who obnoxiously goes on and on about those "feminists".
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin have Jewish backgrounds and apparently aren't very religious. Is that what you mean?

Quote SEG said View Post
    Founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin have Jewish backgrounds and apparently aren't very religious. Is that what you mean?
    No, I thought the OP might have offered more content to start the topic.
    EJB

Oh ok. I don't think it's much of a problem here, as religion isn't really that relevant to a workplace and most Aussies are pretty much laid back about it anyway.

Quote SEG said View Post
    Oh ok. I don't think it's much of a problem here, as religion isn't really that relevant to a workplace and most Aussies are pretty much laid back about it anyway.
    Oh, there are workplaces, but fortunately they tend to discriminate in initial hiring, so the matter of an atheist among discriminatory believers wouldn't happen often.

Now watch somebody come up with an anecdote.
    EJB

I've got one in the kitchen somewhere. For emergencies.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

9. Like button SEG liked this post
    Laugh button The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post

Ok I am new to this forum and this is an older thread.

Religion is a protected attribute in Australian workplace law. That means the employer is prohibited from discriminating against and disadvantaging a person because of their religion.

In addition if the employer does not actively discriminate but does not have policies and procedures in place to actively prevent other employees from bullying or harassing (separate offences in the law) then the employees guilty of the offence and the employer can be held accountable ( and financially liable) by the Tribunal if a complaint is made and upheld.

odd is offline I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord. Moderator

Quote Cloud Shouter said View Post
    Ok I am new to this forum and this is an older thread.

Religion is a protected attribute in Australian workplace law. That means the employer is prohibited from discriminating against and disadvantaging a person because of their religion.

In addition if the employer does not actively discriminate but does not have policies and procedures in place to actively prevent other employees from bullying or harassing (separate offences in the law) then the employees guilty of the offence and the employer can be held accountable ( and financially liable) by the Tribunal if a complaint is made and upheld.
    Unless you work for a religious organisation, or would like to, in which case they are exempt.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess