Thread: Pussy Riot's Masha Alyokhina

Default Pussy Riot's Masha Alyokhina

Masha is still brave and free. She has passed the evil tests Putin's state has thrown at her undaunted. They're tough, these Ruskies.

Her spontaneous responses in this Guardian interview are profound, heroic, like Sartrean existentialist. Masha is an encouragement to us all.

Pussy Riot's Masha Alyokhina on Putin, Trump and Brexit: 'It's useless to be afraid.'

Set to headline Australia’s Dark Mofo in Hobart, the activist speaks about imprisonment, fear and discovering her son is ‘violating the regime’ of school.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...s-to-be-afraid
    Last edited by Strato; 11th May 2017 at 02:37 AM.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

2. Like button Blue Lightning, Darwinsbulldog liked this post
    Thank button Blue Lightning thanked this post

Default Re: Pussy Riot's Masha Alyokhina

Fucking great.

Growing up, Alyokhina, whose parents were mathematicians (her father was an academic), remembers asking what they did to fight repression in 1970s Russia. “They didn’t have an answer,” she says. “I know that my son will be 20 or 25 someday and he will ask me, as well, what I was doing. And I want to have an answer.”

Default Re: Pussy Riot's Masha Alyokhina

Masha now has a book out: Riot Days

The Guardian
    Pussy Riot
    Saturday interview

Pussy Riot's Mariya Alyokhina: "Politics is not something that exists in one or another White House. It is our lives"

In 2012 the Russian activist and artist was jailed for two years and sent to a penal colony. But it hasn’t put her off campaigning, she says – for a better Russia, and for better conditions throughout the world.
    One of Alyokhina’s favourite sections in the book is an account of the week she spent in hiding with Samutsevich and Tolokonnikova before they were finally tracked down by police. They whiled away the time moving between the flats of friends and talking to journalists over Skype in cafe toilets. All the fugitives took a decision not to travel abroad or hide out somewhere far from Moscow. “It was the most interesting week,” says Alyokhina. “If I had gone into exile it would have been a choice for safety. That’s when you put conditions of personal comfort above your convictions. That’s not interesting for me.”
    She is existentially free, as Sartre represented 'authenticity.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-white-house
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

5. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post