Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Atheism and Nihilism

Default Re: Atheism and Nihilism

Quote akizur said View Post
    Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Nihilism... what of it? Well, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy says:
    So, nothing can be known or communicated, eh?

When you say something, Azikur, can I remind you you are being a bad nihilist doing all that communicating, and that you actually know nothing?
    Did you ask yourself the question: DO I REALLY KNOW SOMETHING?
    I'm more content to just be, or seem to be. Frankly, I don't give a fuck.

Asking myself shouty questions is just a bit too showy.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Like button MarkFL liked this post

Quote Strato said View Post
    Do nihilists have children?
    No, at least i don't have.

Well, darlings, Goat had to do it. I went seeking enlightenment and found some videos on meditation and nihilism.

They may have something to do with this thread.

Let me start with the five-minute jobbie on meditation, because I did sit some Zen way back in the old days, and because it's the shortest.

I'd lost it by the seven-second mark - "SHITTING...still!" while I would in no way detract from Aki's linguistic skills, this introduction was an unexpected, almost-Zen, slap to the serious side of my intent. The critical, intellectual side of me nodded gravely, trying to conceal a smirk.

"Most people cannot sit still." The disembodied head intoned, as its unseen body rocked it to and fro.

While the head continued to remind me of that TV show Red Dwarf (what if Holly had a hippie brother?) and enjoined the listener to sit unmoved like a mountain, another body part made a brief appearance.

The left hand first held itself up in a classic gesture from the Lost Sutras, The Mudra Of The Know-All, then proceeded to strobe across the screen as it waved faster than the frames-per-second rate would accommodate. Ah, so calm-inducing...

"Sit still, but alert..."

"Watch the stream of the breath" - that would be an indicator that my wife will shortly ask me to turn the heater on.

(Skipped a whole skein of body-state imagery.)

Oh, Mister Hand is back, and the eyeballs have begun to roll round a bit when the eyes are open.

"Empty but not empty" - oh, good, here's our paradox. Gotta have a good paradox!

Now, if I mute the audio for a moment, Marcel Marceau is watching an imaginary badminton tournament.

Actually, at 3:30, I am merely hearing a long, rambling exposition on what I learned as: "Sitting. Just sit is all." No more words, but a well-timed whack when my flickering eyes gave away my wandering mind. Mister Head is, in himself, a distraction of some magnitude to the would-be meditator.

Your reviewer manfully resisted the temptation to mute the sound again, and try the visuals with a Shakespearean monologue, or some of Cartman's lines from South Park.

"The present moment is enough to itself" - fuck me with a misshapen sweet potato, that present moment took five minutes to reach?

I may need a cup of tea and a lamington before I venture again into Werner Wunderland.
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 8th May 2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: tpyo
    EJB

Quote Loki said View Post
    All that tells me is that incoherent meaningless babble existed before Chopra.

"What is the sound of one hand fapping?"
    Lack of comprehension in people without any experience in this field is normal.

Lack of comprehension is often the result of poor communication.

You'd think that profound truths would be fairly easy to present.
    -Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

Got fuck all to do with experience in the field. Has to do with your use of incoherent meaningless babble in place of honest explanation in plain English.

It's a rather distinct tell of many of the religious and other bullshit merchants.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

Did you hear about the nihilist evangelist?

He had nothing to offer.
    EJB

9. Like button Darwinsbulldog liked this post
    Thank button two dogs thanked this post
    Laugh button Darwinsbulldog laughed at this post