Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian man granted divorce from "possessed" wife

Default Italian man granted divorce from "possessed" wife

Some days I just can't...

The woman had exhibited "inexplicable behaviour" since 2007, including fits, stiffening, and other "unusual phenomena", a Milan court heard. Her husband attributed the episodes to "demonic possession".

Her sister, as well as a priest and a Capuchin monk confirmed the strange behaviour, testifying that the woman - a devout Catholic - had at one point knocked over a church pew, hurling it towards the altar using just one hand.

Witnesses even claimed to have seen her levitate, before falling to the ground.

The Milan court tribunal acknowledged that the woman was "clearly agitated" but said she "did not act knowingly", according to Il Corriere della Sera daily.

The judge ruled that the incidents couldn't be attributed to an illness, since the woman was judged healthy following by doctors and psychiatrists. Several exorcists had also attempted to cure her over the years, but to no avail.
    https://www.thelocal.it/20170410/ita...essed-by-devil
    What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach

2. Like button Strato, DanDare liked this post
    Thank button gray-owl thanked this post

Default Re: Italian man granted divorce from "possessed" wife

Irreconcilable due to husband's ineptitude perhaps, but blaming it all on 'the woman' is lower than a dog's regurgitated breakfast
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

4. Like button DanDare liked this post

Maybe she will get better immediately he's gone...

EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

6. Like button Blue Lightning liked this post
    Thank button gray-owl thanked this post
    Laugh button Blue Lightning, Darwinsbulldog, DanDare laughed at this post

From article:-
    The judge ruled that the incidents couldn't be attributed to an illness, since the woman was judged healthy following by doctors and psychiatrists
    Hmm, given the circumstances, I think the docs/psychs involved would be steeped in religious tradition [woo]. So something not immediately explainable would be attributed to the supernatural. We know the difficulty some psychiatrists have with complex natural traits like intersex and non-straight behaviour, which only very recently [in DSM-5] been deemed natural variation and not illness or dysfunction.

Note also, that the woo brigade failed to cure her by exorcism and other mumbo-jumbo.

Back to the medical though, SPS [stiff person syndrome] has an unclear aetiology,

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/di...erson-syndrome

...but still not valid grounds for divorce. Unless of course the marriage ceremony comes under the aegis of Churches who believe in magic, demons and possession.

The poor woman is probably better off without such an asshole of a husband anyway, and his deluded and evil church.

All in all, a pretty barbaric situation, where even doctors [supposedly professionals] run back to superstition when problems get tough.

All a doctor is is an applied scientist-a biologist [among other things]. If they stop practising science, then they have no business being doctors. Such people are very lucky I am not in charge of a medical registration board, for I would pull their licences to practice medicine in a fucking heartbeat.

And as for the Judge,he is a deluded fool along with the rest of them.
    Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 12th April 2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

8. Like button Strato, DanDare liked this post

And this happened in Europe?!
    ďIt's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.Ē ― Warsan shire
    ďHuman beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs donít, and arenít.Ē ― Ali A Rizvi

10. Like button DanDare liked this post

Quote knowledge is power said View Post
    And this happened in Europe?!
    The left leg of Europe, mines always been a bit funny at times as well, tends to shake at unexpected moments. It's always handy when you feel an overwhelming desire to kick someone, I call it left leg syndrome.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

12. Like button wolty, DanDare liked this post
    Laugh button Strato laughed at this post

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Maybe she will get better immediately he's gone...

And so, hearing the tale was getting around among the conscripts, they contrived the Catch-22 counter-stratagem.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

14. Like button wolty, DanDare liked this post

Quote Strato said View Post
    And so, hearing the tale was getting around among the conscripts, they contrived the Catch-22 counter-stratagem.
    I haven't read that book since I was an unreconstructed, privileged, pimple-grower of some thirteen summers.

Maybe it's time to revisit, with a bit of experience and a 21st C perspective.
    EJB

Oh I want to re-read the Catch 22, but i will never understand why we were given The Outsiders to read at school. Facepalm
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

Quote wadaye said View Post
    Oh I want to re-read the Catch 22, but i will never understand why we were given The Outsiders to read at school. Facepalm
    Sit down and grab a number. Somebody will be along with a Freudian explanation shortly.
    EJB

18. Thank button wadaye thanked this post