Thread: Day of Reason

Default Day of Reason

I'd like to propose the celebration of an International Day of Reason, to be held annually on the 1st July.

Believers have a plethora of feast days and days of celebration, so why not us?
    The day would highlight the contributions and work of atheists in our communities, as well as giving us a particular day to focus on our own non-belief.

I've chosen the 1st July as:
    1- it's a simple, memorable date, with no conflicting days on the calendar (at least in Aus.).
    2- It's as far, on the calendar, from the main religious (and non-religious) celebrations of Christmas and New Year as it can be.

In general;

3- Such a day could be a time for non-believers to come together and reflect on our own thoughts and ideals.
    4- It could reinforce to authorities the idea that not all of us are bound up in the myths of religion and would stress the need for rational, independent thought in all aspects of our private and public lives.
    5- It could give atheists, rationalists, humanists and other fellow thinkers a day of experiencing a sense of belonging together in our own personal stands on the matters of religion and other irrational forces in our lives.
    6- Finally, by focussing on our own ideas and ideals, we reinforce our own commitment to our views of the world.

2. Like button Svadifari, Spud Henley liked this post

Default Re: Day of Reason

Good idea.
    I've actually heard somewhere that November 17 is the only date NOT designated as International Day of something or other. I remember that because it's my sister's birthday.
    Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Svadifari, I just like the stark simplicity of 1st July. I guess if we have to move it we can.

The only wrinkle I can think of is that theists imagine they can reason. They can of course, but not about their own dog.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Might be tricky to start something up like international reason day, as laudable as the idea is. We do have Feb 12, Darwin Day. Probably that could be expanded and popularised a bit more than it currently is.

7. Like button Darwinsbulldog liked this post

Pip you may be right. At least Darwin Day has a "handle", Darwin, to hang ideas on - a day of reason has nothing specific to address.

We should have it, and own 1st of April being fools day as the Christians think we are fools, turn it on them.
    Godless & free
    Prayer = Wishful thinking

I love both the 1st of July for REASON DAY and the 12th of February for DARWIN DAY and I will be marking both in my calendars to celebrate and push down people's throats similar to xmas and easter are pushed.

I already make a point of wishing people happy SATURNALIA which is the non religious festival of giving presents around the 25th of December that the christians took over when they could not stamp it out.....of course you all know the christians really have no idea when their Jesus was born or died and decided on the present dates in some religious council centuries after the claimed shit.

Quote equalism 42 said View Post
    I already make a point of wishing people happy SATURNALIA which is the non religious festival .
    Saturnalia is the ancient religious Roman festival honouring the god Saturn.
    "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain

12. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post