Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

Default Re: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

Who wrote that?

They're gloating. What a waste of pixels. Why not contribute to the global atheist discourse instead?
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Quote Strato said View Post
    Who wrote that?

They're gloating. What a waste of pixels. Why not contribute to the global atheist discourse instead?
    https://atheistforum.wordpress.com/about/ - it's about as atheist as I am a whelk.

The forum is run by Robert Martin, currently based in Melbourne, Australia.

Robert is presently a follower of Jesus but has seriously entertained atheism at two points in his life. He presently believes that there is reasonable evidence for his beliefs, particularly evidence for the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. With this said, he is willing to change his mind if reasonable reasons were provided.

Robert works for an organisation called The City Bible Forum in Melbourne. This organisation, like this Blog, seeks to ask the bigger questions. He has also contributed to a book called, ‘Disbelieving Disbelief’ which critiques the works of the New Atheists.
    Astroturding.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

3. Like button two dogs liked this post
    Thank button Voltairine thanked this post
    workmx is offline Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

What Mr Black said.
    Last edited by workmx; 13th November 2017 at 09:16 PM.
    Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut!

Quote Strato said View Post
    Who wrote that?

A Christian wrote that.

About

This is a Blog devoted to discussing issues surrounding modern atheism. It is an attempt to be open minded and reach conclusions based on evidence-based reasoning. Both atheist and theistic arguments will be presented and critiqued.

This Blog will focus particularly on the ‘new atheism’, the writings and thinking of people such as Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett (the four horsemen).

I’d love interaction and discussion as we explore many interesting and important issues.

The forum is run by Robert Martin, currently based in Melbourne, Australia.

Robert is presently a follower of Jesus but has seriously entertained atheism at two points in his life. He presently believes that there is reasonable evidence for his beliefs, particularly evidence for the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. With this said, he is willing to change his mind if reasonable reasons were provided.

Robert works for an organisation called The City Bible Forum in Melbourne. This organisation, like this Blog, seeks to ask the bigger questions. He has also contributed to a book called, ‘Disbelieving Disbelief’ which critiques the works of the New Atheists.
    https://atheistforum.wordpress.com/about/

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
    —Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary

6. Like button two dogs liked this post
    Lord Blackadder is offline Minister for Religious Genocide Super Moderator
    Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Has video and interactive conferencing reduced the need for face-to-face meetings?

What other models and media/methods could we consider?
    People did ask if there was a live video streaming for the event. And if it was free. Because if it wasn't free, they weren't interested. So here we are.
    If atheism were true, why do cats have pretty stripes on them?

Quote Lord Blackadder said View Post
    Has video and interactive conferencing reduced the need for face-to-face meetings?

People did ask if there was a live video streaming for the event. And if it was free. Because if it wasn't free, they weren't interested. So here we are.
    @LBA: I wasn't directing my remark at the GAC, as I understand many people delight in gathering in throngs.

I was considering other models of meeting, in a post-non-GAC context.
    EJB

Lord Blackadder is offline Minister for Religious Genocide Super Moderator
    Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Mr B, no problem with people who genuinely would not have come for personal reasons. TBH, the older I get, the less tolerant of crowds I am too.

My gripe is at people who expected everything for nothing, then pissed and moaned when we didn't "accommodate" them. Live streaming is a fabulous idea, especially for people who live interstate or overseas, but it is not a freebie. Big game companies, like Blizzard (purveyour of online crack World of Warcraft and StarCraft) have been doing it for years. They charge a discount ticket price for live streaming "attendance", because contrary to popular belief, you can't magic something like that out of your arse - it still costs money to run something even if it's online.
    If atheism were true, why do cats have pretty stripes on them?

10. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black, joele liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, Voltairine thanked this post

@LBA: I wasn't directing my remark at the GAC, as I understand many people delight in gathering in throngs.

I was considering other models of meeting, in a post-non-GAC context.
    I'm keen.
    -Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Mr B, no problem with people who genuinely would not have come for personal reasons. TBH, the older I get, the less tolerant of crowds I am too.

My gripe is at people who expected everything for nothing, then pissed and moaned when we didn't "accommodate" them. Live streaming is a fabulous idea, especially for people who live interstate or overseas, but it is not a freebie. Big game companies, like Blizzard (purveyour of online crack World of Warcraft and StarCraft) have been doing it for years. They charge a discount ticket price for live streaming "attendance", because contrary to popular belief, you can't magic something like that out of your arse - it still costs money to run something even if it's online.
    And I would consider it fully justified to charge a price for participation in anything live, on such a scale.

My personal interest lies in meetings with a far smaller leg count.
    EJB

Quote Goldenmane said View Post
    I'm keen.
    Wanna start a conspiracy?

If so, what medium will we use to discuss?
    EJB