Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B Grade Westerns - cultural imperialism.

Default Re: B Grade Westerns - cultural imperialism.

Quote Strato said View Post
    Of all those straight TV shows in the 60's,there was The Smothers Brothers, competing for its time slot against Bonanza. The show's satire was ever controversial and CBS pulled it.
    The CNN documentary series about the 60 was really good, and it told the story of the Smothers Brothers getting axed. In its account of history, the program is praised as a really great expression of the best parts of the zeitgeist. You can see a few good youtube clips of musicians appearing on Smothers Brothers too. I love the 60s,

But the 60s also gave us modern conservatism in the form of Barry Goldwater. Ronald Reagan joined the Republican Party in 64, inspired by Goldwater, but Pence and Trump are worse than Barry, if only because they are in power.

2. Like button Strato liked this post

George Wallace also.

Wiki

'Wallace is remembered for his Southern neo-dixiecrat and "Jim Crow" positions during the mid-20th century period of the Civil Rights Movement, declaring in his 1963 Inaugural Address that he stood for "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever," and standing in front of the entrance of the University of Alabama in an attempt to stop the enrollment of black students. He eventually renounced segregationism but remained a social conservative. On May 15, 1972, he was shot five times by Arthur Bremer, and spent the remainder of his life in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury caused by one of the bullets fired by Bremer, who spent 35 years in prison before his release in 2007.'

However,

'During his final years, Wallace publicly recanted his racist views and asked for forgiveness from African Americans.'

Did he wish he could undo the damage if he had his time over? Maybe, maybe not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...te_note-over-4
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

My son who is endeavouring to help me to get my head out of my arse now tells me I have to watch West World with Anthony Hopkins. I'm told it's the best series ever or for a long time, been out 6 months.

Hopkins is up there with Billy Bob.

Has anyone caught West World?
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Quote THWOTH said View Post
    So much popular music determined by commercial algorithms these days. And you cant hear the words!
    I keep hearing one song over the Public Annoyance System at the shops (or is it a number of songs which cannot be distinguished from each other?), which is best characterised as "Unhappy Young African-American Man, Riding Bicycle Down Steep Hill On Cobbled Pavement, Recites His Shopping List To The Accompaniment Of A Phone Engaged Signal".
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

6. Laugh button pipbarber laughed at this post

My son who is endeavouring to help me to get my head out of my arse now tells me I have to watch West World with Anthony Hopkins. I'm told it's the best series ever or for a long time, been out 6 months.

I loved the original flick, with Yul Brynner as The Gunfighter: I didn't think they could surpass that, so haven't bothered with the TV version.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

West world is good Strato. Robotics and AI stuff that raises moral questions about our relationship to machines and robots. You should give it a go.

Compulsory viewing for me. It is lavishly produced, great performances including Hopkins. Fantastic use of music, which is woven into the world they create, rather than just being a soundtrack: Debussy, Chopin, Radiohead, The Cure, Soundgarden all pop up. It's spine-tingling.

But it is going for a high concept philosophical exploration, and in that regard I think it fails. If it has anything to say at all, I can't quite work out what it is. The original movie with Yul Brynner, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. Humans good, machines bad. Then mayhem. Simple. I love it! Yul's gunslinger makes a very brief cameo in the series. It's just a flash frame, but it leaps out at the hardcore fan.

10. Like button Strato liked this post

The original was 1973. I think watch that one.

In Yuval Noah Harari's Homo Deus, a Brief History of Tomorrow, he predicts the human AI interface, genetic engineering for this, remodeling, and also immortality, regeneration, pharmacogenetics. Who can envision what will eventuate by 2100? I care. As Bernie Sanders declares, 'Despair is not an option.'

It's hard not to see this as a dystopian vision. Only Wall St., Beverly Hills and the very wealthy could afford the ongoing upgrades. They would be targets for assassination.