Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science schmience

Default Science schmience

Ok in the future can we have a science writer do these things?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...f36e54b6f0fbab

The mistakes are many and huge, I will just note one!

Ultimately, the point is the same: the entangled photons bounce back to a sensor which can then compute course, speed and size.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

Default Re: Science schmience

Ugh. Lucky for them they don't allow comments.

So they have just repeated what China said or something. How would you use entanglement over any distance unless it was in a vacuum?
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Loki is online now You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

If I was chiana and I actually had something that could do as claimed I wouldn't be tellin noone.

Fake news. Capitalising on the paranoia endendered by the clown in chief. They apparently would rather the f-35 was not deployed.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

I'd have to see the research, but my initial instinct is that it's bollocks, for one really simple reason: Any interaction destroys the entanglement, meaning that all future measurements of the entangled partner are useless. How would one 'retain' the pair in order to measure it without interacting with it, thereby decohering the entanglement?

Colour me extremely sceptical that this is even possible. Deepity Chakra could have written that article.

5. Thank button THWOTH thanked this post

The author has zero understanding of the subject. In the article he quotes directly "spooky action at a distance" then says something monumentally stupid like "the entangled photons bounce back to the senssor"?

What exactly happened to "spooky action at a distance"

Also who is to say which entangled photon will change, why should the one at a distance change and give information back to the close one? Why shouldn't the close one change and give information to the distant one? Or indeed both change and exchange information, which would make a lot more sense, if anything does!

The point with quantum indeterminacy is that you can't predict it because, as pointed out above, the act of interacting changes the result of the observation in an unpredictable way!

Sure I am not the finest brain in the world and barely understand this stuff so if I say something stupid I am quite happy to be corrected. This, I think, rules me out from being a science correspondent writing articles about it. It's a pity the author here didn't consider this a problem as well and just soldiered on into complete nonsense.
    Last edited by stevebrooks; 28th February 2017 at 11:26 AM.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-c...cation_theorem

Quote Wikipedia said
    In physics, the no-communication theorem is a no-go theorem from quantum information theory which states that, during measurement of an entangled quantum state, it is not possible for one observer, by making a measurement of a subsystem of the total state, to communicate information to another observer. The theorem is important because, in quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement is an effect by which certain widely separated events can be correlated in ways that suggest the possibility of instantaneous communication.
    So unless they've found a way to violate the known laws of physics, it's total bollocks from the get-go.

8. Like button hackenslash, DanDare liked this post

Quote hackenslash said View Post
    I'd have to see the research, but my initial instinct is that it's bollocks, for one really simple reason: Any interaction destroys the entanglement, meaning that all future measurements of the entangled partner are useless. How would one 'retain' the pair in order to measure it without interacting with it, thereby decohering the entanglement?

Colour me extremely sceptical that this is even possible. Deepity Chakra could have written that article.
    \

they are Chinese particles. they have zero degrees of freedom.
    The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it. (Osho)

10. Like button Loki, wearestardust liked this post
    Laugh button hackenslash, DanDare laughed at this post

Quote Stub King said View Post
    \

they are Chinese particles. they have zero degrees of freedom.
    No I think you have that wrong, being chinese particles they would have infinite freedom, but only in the party approved direction.

12. Like button DanDare liked this post

Quote stevebrooks said View Post
    Ok in the future can we have a science writer do these things?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...f36e54b6f0fbab

The mistakes are many and huge, I will just note one!

Ultimately, the point is the same: the entangled photons bounce back to a sensor which can then compute course, speed and size.
    In the comments to the story,

Simon_Sim
    4 days ago
    If it is true that China has developed the radar, why tell the world it has. *Wouldn't it be better to let the countries waste their money on Stealth fighters ?

VelourBeanbag
    5 days ago
    China designs very little. It's first "stealth" aircraft isn't. I doubt very much these claims since they only copy what others have done and 20 years later.

Jonathan_Fuller
    5 days ago
    Good try at the physics, but no. The statistical analysis of whether an entangled photon has been measured/ absorbed is very subtle, and would require more than just a few photons. Further, let us pretend that you could send out a "paired photon" to be absorbed by an F-35, and that you could keep the other one (entangled until absorbed) unobserved until the first one hits (maybe by keeping it in several hundred miles of optical fiber?), exactly when would you go out and test the first one? Please remember the meaning of the 2nd "r' in radar, ranging. Because you only have one shot at looking at an entangled (or disentangled) photon, so when to pop it out and test it will only indicate that has become disentangled, not when. In addition, many of the stealth tricks involve deflection, not absorption.*

Paper tiger.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Has there been ANY substantial experimental confirmation of quantum entanglement? Let alone this claim of a military application of it.