Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Debate: God Exists

Default Re: Debate: God Exists

Quote 142857 said View Post
    DanDare, I agree. There is not much point in debating such broad concepts.

I like the idea of debating specific questions and disqualifying arguments not related to that question.

More examples might be:

Claim: "Religion and belief in God is necessary for moral behaviour".

Question: "Since objective morality is often presented as evidence for the existence of God, does evidence and logic lead us to the conclusion that morality is objective?".

(someone else could probably phrase the above question a lot better).
    No, you have to do that yourself 142857.

I almost feel like taking up the challenge being the Almighty's advocate.

Couldn't we lure some Asperger's professor of theology from Wheaton or Houghton or Bob Jones' Bible College over here?

Car'n whadareya?
    Last edited by Strato; 28th February 2017 at 01:20 AM.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Quote DanDare said View Post
    If you want to debate god then try this:

Claim: "There is a conscious entity that performed a task that caused the universe to be."

Then you can have two sides: claim acceptance and claim rejection teams.

Very unlikely to go well for the acceptance team.

Certainly a more interesting debate topic might be:

Claim: "Religion has value for human societies".

That is more ambiguous and would allow some interesting exploration.
    What about: ' Atheism is false' ?

...I'll get my coat.
    ...never eat your own nose...

3. Laugh button DanDare, 142857 laughed at this post

Quote Azurisan21 said View Post
    Dear all,

I would like to run a debate titled God Exists. I would like two teams to be involved. One team is affirmative that argues for God; the other team argues against God. It is not a requirement to be a theist or atheist for either team. You may want to treat this debate as a hypothesis and an opportunity to cultivate your own critical thinking and argumentative skills.

Each team may comprise of more than one member but both teams must have equal numbers of members.

Would anyone be interested to get started?

*drum roll*

*fanfare*

*stream of scantily clad males and females enter from opposite wings of the stage dancing and singing a merry tune*

So, got any evidence then?

/end of debate

5. Laugh button DanDare laughed at this post

Quote DanDare said View Post
    If you want to debate god then try this:

Claim: "There is a conscious entity that performed a task that caused the universe to be."

Then you can have two sides: claim acceptance and claim rejection teams.

Very unlikely to go well for the acceptance team.

I'd take the acceptance side just for fun.

I will mostly be using the metaphor of The Blind Man.

Who said that?
    ...never eat your own nose...

8. Thank button Spearthrower thanked this post

Guys, Sterquilinus exists.

Quote Spearthrower said View Post
    I'd take the acceptance side just for fun.

I will mostly be using the metaphor of The Blind Man.
    I always knew you weren't a REAL atheist!

Ducks and runs..........
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

It says quick reply, but I'm fighting twenty seven chapters of a dam book called the bible! Anyway here goes; If you believe in a god thing then by default it must be all powerful, all knowing, transcend time and space and have created you! If such a god thing existed it would have therefore known your entire life and ultimate destiny before it made up its mind to create you.... That would mean if your ultimate destiny was eternal damnation then there is not one dam thing you could do to chose to do to alter your fate......just test it by doing something your god did not know you were going to do if you don't believe me. What is worse then that your every action and thought you would have during your entire life would have been known to your god thing before it decided to create you but chose to create you anyway.....meaning any sense you can chose your actions which decide your fate can at best only be delusions of free will....and anyone living their lives with a delusion are clinically diagnosed as delusional. So in summary if you believe in a god thing you are delusional..
    What is worse is to imagine such a god exists that gets its jollies from making people filling them with false hope of salvation only to watch them go through the motions of struggle and end up in damnation where the god thing knew they were going anyway....it has certain parallels with children pulling the wings off blow flys to watch them struggle to fly knowing they cannot....for children we say it is both cruel and childish for a god thing to do it ......it speaks of a serious mental issues....and Im sure no god is preferable to a mad one!

Quote Azurisan21 said View Post
    Dear all,

I would like to run a debate titled God Exists. I would like two teams to be involved. One team is affirmative that argues for God; the other team argues against God. It is not a requirement to be a theist or atheist for either team. You may want to treat this debate as a hypothesis and an opportunity to cultivate your own critical thinking and argumentative skills.

Each team may comprise of more than one member but both teams must have equal numbers of members.

Would anyone be interested to get started?

Thanks and regards

Where you say you don't have to be a theist or atheist. Why would a theist be arguing for a generic God? Theism implies religion. That would be a specific God or God's that you would have to prove exist. A Deist on the other hand could argue for a generic God existing. Of course believing in a generic God without any doctrine to follow, you would live as an atheist anyway as there is nothing to go by.

@MOAC: Sometimes a person may be taunted by the unreal, seeming real.

Depending on the time, such a person may acknowledge that they may at times be delusional.

Context is everything.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

14. Like button knowledge is power, MOAC liked this post
    Thank button Goldenmane thanked this post