Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Debate: God Exists

Default Re: Debate: God Exists

I'd possibly be interested Azu, have to set framing first, however.

Which god? Which sect?

2. Thank button Azurisan21 thanked this post

Quote Athe1st said View Post
    I'd possibly be interested Azu, have to set framing first, however.

Which god? Which sect?
    Great!

Any god. Let's say god that isn't based on any religion - since I don't follow any religion. How about that? We can discuss frameworks in the meantime.

Can you explain what you mean by god in definite terms please?

5. Like button Sendraks liked this post
    Thank button Sendraks thanked this post

Quote 142857 said View Post
    I completely get what you are saying and I agree 100% apart from one tiny thing:

Even as an almost lifelong atheist I would disagree that belief in God is based on absolutely nothing.

I know people who sincerely believe that they have met God. In their case their belief in God is based on first-hand experience (admittedly with no other evidence). Eyewitness testimony is classed as evidence. And those people have insisted that I should believe in God because they have met him and I should trust them on that.

There are also stories in old books. Now this is poor evidence as those books are known to contain factual errors and are internally inconsistent. But still, we should acknowledge the existence of that evidence and objectively grade its credibility rather than saying that it doesn't exist.
    Fair comment. So almost nothing apart from appeals to anecdote.
    "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain

Quote Sendraks said View Post
    Fair comment. So almost nothing apart from appeals to anecdote.
    Almost nothing apart from eyewitness testimony (notoriously unreliable, particularly when dealing with supernatural beings) and some historical documentation that, due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies, should be classed as unreliable.

Almost nothing apart from eyewitness testimony (notoriously unreliable, particularly when dealing with supernatural beings)
    Yes, I'd classify these as appeal to anecdote, nothing more.

and some historical documentation that, due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies, should be classed as unreliable.
    THe historical documentation is, again, simply anecdotes written down. They're unverifiable written claims based on what the writer claims to have seen or that someone who spoke to the writer claims to have seen.
    "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain

I can win that debate from the point of view of the challenger:

"The proof of God's nonexistence is secured by the absence of evidence for his existence."

Next!
    ...never eat your own nose...

10. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post

I agree that the premise as it stands is speculative.

I think the more tangible (and underlying) question is "Why would you want a god to exist"?

A better question to refine with is, since god is a religiously constructed concept:

Why do religions exist?

How about that?

Quote Sendraks said View Post
    Yes, superstring theory isn't a scientific theory, it is 'theory' in the sense of speculation put forward by scientists.
    I don't agree with this. Yes, there is some degree of speculation, but it's still a theory, although this might be an artefact of the way I use the nomenclature, reflecting a hierarchy of epistemology, which is as follows:

In this hierarchy, M-Theory is a theory, because it's an integrated explanatory framework encompassing all the facts, hypotheses, laws and observations pertaining to a given area of interest, that area being everything.

I think that even the more robust way these terms are used among the scientifically literate doesn't really capture the essence of them, especially with regard to what constitutes a theory.

14. Like button Strato, THWOTH, Sendraks liked this post