Thread: RDF USA Hotline Project

Default RDF USA Hotline Project

Richard Dawkins Foundation has set up an advice hotline for new atheists in the US. http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/hotline-project/

Is that a good idea? What are the benefits? What are the pitfalls? Is it more important in the US than here?
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Default Re: RDF USA Hotline Project

I do not see any problem with it as long as the people who give advice are suitably qualified and understand what it means to be an atheist.
    I think the USA has a greater need for it than we do here. Not to say that it would not be worth doing here as well.
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

Meh... if people use it, fine. If anyone gets a benefit from it, great. But I think it's more likely of use in countries where atheism results in more serious forms of stigmatization - like death.

Quote Spearthrower said View Post
    Meh... if people use it, fine. If anyone gets a benefit from it, great. But I think it's more likely of use in countries where atheism results in more serious forms of stigmatization - like death.
    That's where it would be better as an interactive web forum with people who have knowledge about the issues in specific countries. In place where death is the downside running the help line itself may be problematic.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

That's an interesting suggestion. A web forum populated by knowledgeable people.Now where might Dawkins find one of those?

We're all very excited.

6. Laugh button DanDare laughed at this post

Quote hackenslash said View Post
    That's an interesting suggestion. A web forum populated by knowledgeable people.Now where might Dawkins find one of those?

We're all very excited.

That rat's rectum is already suppurated.

8. Like button hackenslash, DanDare liked this post

Quote hackenslash said View Post

We're all very excited.
    I put the laugh emotie on that comment but its not enough. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. Tears are running down my face.
    -Thomas Jefferson

10. Like button hackenslash liked this post

You won't ever find a perfect or suitably knowledgable atheist to fill the job. I wonder how much "accreditation"is needed for both the job applicants and the fascillitators? I guess the main object would be to counsel people who need support.