Thread: Is there a way for me to understand better this forum?

Default Is there a way for me to understand better this forum?

Hello everyone,

May I ask a question? It is that, is there a way for me to read and understand posts on this forum better? Sometimes, I take things literally and so when I make replies to posts, what I write can seem irrelevant. So I'm just wondering if this forum is based on specific conventions of how to read and reply to posts that I may be missing?

I would appreciate a positive reply to this,

Thanks

2. Like button DanDare liked this post

Default Re: Is there a way for me to understand better this forum?

Az, don't stress. You do just fine. I miss stuff all the time. If you're not sure about a post, just ask.
    Don't worry, we like you very much just as you are, no need to change your style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twisted Sister

4. Like button knowledge is power, DanDare liked this post

I miss the point of certain posts from time to time, it happens. I'd say, on the whole, when i make a post that is a bit off the mark, provided i've been honest with my reasoning, whatever error of understanding i've made is generally pointed out in a respectful manner and that's ok. You can't worry too much about misinterpreting a post, you do fine Az, in my opinion, dont stress, some of your posts generate some really interesting discussions.

6. Like button DanDare liked this post

I don't understand this forum and I have been here, like for ever!
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

8. Like button DanDare liked this post

Quote Azurisan21 said View Post
    Hello everyone,

May I ask a question? It is that, is there a way for me to read and understand posts on this forum better? Sometimes, I take things literally and so when I make replies to posts, what I write can seem irrelevant. So I'm just wondering if this forum is based on specific conventions of how to read and reply to posts that I may be missing?

I would appreciate a positive reply to this,

Thanks
    Don't worry about it Azu - you take what you want from it, and people will take what they want from your posts.

Besides, this is the internet so I expect everyone's mistakenly assumed that something was literal rather than ironic or vice-versa at some point!

10. Like button DanDare liked this post

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    I don't understand this forum and I have been here, like for ever!
    Sometimes I don't even understand myself, but that's what being human is all about!
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

12. Like button DanDare liked this post

Quote stevebrooks said View Post
    Sometimes I don't even understand myself, but that's what being human is all about!
    The craziest idiot I have ever met is me!
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

14. Like button DanDare liked this post

Dude, hold my beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twisted Sister

16. Like button DanDare liked this post

Ah yes but you have yet to meet me.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

18. Like button DanDare liked this post

I think most of us imagine body language and tone of voice for posts. Our immersion in Australian culture makes that often benign or correct. Lots of times it is completely wrong. I know I fall off the rails on this.

The ability to correct this perception lies with the reader who can reflect what they have understood a post to mean in their own words. Then the poster can correct or affirm that.

Doing that is very helpful to the people who come after.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.