Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey is officially fucked

Default Turkey is officially fucked

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38030182

There will be stoning in the streets in a year or two as Turkey legitimises all the old laws from the Koran and other pre-biblical texts.

A bill which would allow men accused of raping underage girls to be cleared if they marry the girl has been preliminarily backed by Turkish MPs.

The bill would pardon men only if they had sex without "force or threat" and if they married the victim.

Critics say it legitimises rape and child marriage, and lets off men who are aware of their crime.
    But the government will get support among its pious voter base in poorer areas where girls are married off young and the sexual abuse rate is higher. Supporters say Mr Erdogan has liberated religious women by repealing a ban on headscarves in public places.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

Default Re: Turkey is officially fucked

Filthy stuff.

Nasty, barbarous, evil shitheads. Stone-age freaks.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

3. Like button Sieveboy liked this post

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    Filthy stuff.

Nasty, barbarous, evil shitheads. Stone-age freaks.
    +1
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

They've obviously given up completely on joining the EU. Istanbul should secede.

So the girl/victim gets no say in the matter!!?? How people can honestly say that this religion does not discriminate against women is totally absurd
    That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

The government has put up a strong defense of it's case against fierce opposition, with the presidents own daughter leading the charge;

The opposition, celebrities, and even an association whose deputy chairman is the daughter of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan expressed alarm over the move.
    The defense, well it seems to consist entirely of the argument that some men break the law, therefore we must change the law so that these men are no longer breaking the law!

But the government insisted the legislation was aimed at dealing with the widespread custom of child marriages and the criticism was a crude distortion of its aim.
    “There are people who get married before reaching the legal age. They just don’t know the law,” he told reporters in Ankara, adding that the measure aims to “get rid of this injustice”.
    The justice minister, Bekir Bozdağ, said marriages involving minors were “unfortunately a reality” in Turkey but the men involved “were not rapists or sexual aggressors”.
    They seem to fail to understand that this is the reason why we have courts and judges and why judges, in western countries at least, are given some leeway in sentencing so that they can consider the merits of the individual cases and decide accordingly. Yes some of them make mistakes but for the most part it works. What he calls "injustice" is simply that ignorance of the law is no defense, but if the breaking of the law is a minor issue it can be taken into account by the judge at the time.

It's a difficult social and societal issue that simply can't be solved by just making it legal, it still remains a social and societal issue, and children are still getting raped and assaulted even if they agree to marry their rapist and claim no force was used due to family pressure. The thing now is, it has become impossible to separate these from any other type of sexual activity, because stigma associated with the rape tens of thousands of minors will probably now be forced to marry their rapist.

Maybe they should take the time to educate the population rather than changing the laws to make crimes legal. I see it as nothing more than a back door to sharia law, probably not even a back door, they jimmied the front door open and shoved their way through.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

8. Like button Strato liked this post

Makes me think that the wall being built in southern north America may serve a better purpose in south eastern Europe. Frustrating, because i consciously try to rationalize my way out of such thoughts.

Education is ever the long term solution as I know you know, pip.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

11. Like button pipbarber, wadaye, SEG, DanDare liked this post
    Thank button wadaye thanked this post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...ts-review.html

Fortunately, the bill was recalled after several demonstrations demanding scrapping such a shameful act.

13. Like button knowledge is power liked this post

Quote Life-Lover said View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...ts-review.html

Fortunately, the bill was recalled after several demonstrations demanding scrapping such a shameful act.
    I hope it stays that way LL, however this is the latest in a long list of creeping religious inspired law changes in Turkey. The country was never a model democracy, with the constant military coups, but it was rigidly secular. I am starting to suspect that Erdogan doesn't really want to join the EU and is pushing through laws like this to force them to kick Turkey out of accession talks.

15. Like button Spearthrower liked this post