Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atheist

Default Re: Atheist

I do not like the statement of 'an atheist from birth' because how could I have had a position on it before I could comprehend it?

To me it make us guilty of the same things theists are when they label their children Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc. It is my opinion that children cannot have a position on the belief or disbelief in a deity until they can understand the concept.

In terms of my own religious upbringing I cannot say I was an atheist until in my adult life, when I made a conscious choice to identify as such. When I was younger I had no position on it because religion played no part in my childhood. The concept of a deity did enter my mind, but only with wondering if it was real, with a similar level thought as I put into wondering if Father Christmas was real.

Quote WesternGeo said View Post
    I do not like the statement of 'an atheist from birth' because how could I have had a position on it before I could comprehend it?
    Did you read my article? This objection is dealt with therein.

To me it make us guilty of the same things theists are when they label their children Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc. It is my opinion that children cannot have a position on the belief or disbelief in a deity until they can understand the concept.
    How is disbelief a position?

In terms of my own religious upbringing I cannot say I was an atheist until in my adult life, when I made a conscious choice to identify as such. When I was younger I had no position on it because religion played no part in my childhood. The concept of a deity did enter my mind, but only with wondering if it was real, with a similar level thought as I put into wondering if Father Christmas was real.
    But did you actually believe in a deity? If not, you were already atheist.

3. Like button Sendraks liked this post

A "baby atheist" is a bit meaningless, because babies lack a lot of knowledge and positions. They become basically good at physics though, until they watch road-runner cartoons.......
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

As I recall, Christadelphians, a sect my brother belongs to, also happen to believe that children cannot not be christians, nor theists, nor atheists until they are old enough to understand the concept of a god.
    They concede not all children reach this understanding at the same age. They also don’t believe that baptising infants gives their souls a raincheck either. Therefore, I was told with grim authority, children who died before understanding the concept of god could never get to heaven. The same applies to mentally handicapped children and adults as well.
    The Brethren, as they like to call themselves, do seem go to a lot of bother to freak out parents in their own congregations. As if it weren’t bad enough to worry about their own soul getting to heaven, it is also imperative on the parents to make sure their infant child learns as soon as possible about god so the whole family can re-unite for eternity. Clever strategy I suppose. The little darlings are inculcated as soon as possible ensuring the continuity of the brethren. Sorry, seems I have taken the thread off topic…as you were….
    Atheist.

6. Like button Strato liked this post

Quote Noah53 said View Post
    Sorry, seems I have taken the thread off topic…as you were….
    I don't think you have, your post sets out clearly (albeit grimly) why it is important to theists to define atheism in a particular way. They're just not prepared to accept non-belief as a default setting, that also doesn't require someone to have taken position.

With them its all down to an overly simplistic, and entirely on their terms, arrangement where you either believe in God or you actively don't believe. Where you need the information to make a decision. Its all about them identifying who is with them and who is against them, in stark delusional terms.

Naturally they find the idea of someone simply not believing prior to exposure to their in doctrinal bumshit, as something of an anathema.
    "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain

8. Like button hackenslash liked this post
    odd is offline I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord. Moderator

Hi Col. I was raised a catholic - I was even an alter boy. I simply accepted what was presented to me. I always asked questions and never got satisfactory answers. One day I realised it was all bullshit.

There are many many people on this forum that I deeply respect - some of them were seriously religious until they were well into adulthood.

I relate to them because I feel like we have a shared experience, we know something about religion that people not exposed to it don't know.

That is most definitely not to say that people who have never believed are not affected by religion in a very personal way. My point is simply that the 'converted' often have something to say - and this place is about giving them a place to say it.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

10. Like button Strato, Azurisan21 liked this post

Quote 142857 said View Post
    Standard definitions of atheism vary.

The one I use, and the one that most AFA members appear to use, is that atheism is simply the lack of belief in God or Gods.

Does a cooking pot believe in God? No: therefore it is atheist.

If you are working off a slightly different definition of atheism then this analogy doesn't work as well.
    My bold.

Non sequitur, cooking pots along with any other inanimate object cannot be atheists simply because they have no brains therefore no consciousnesses, no self awareness, no ability to conceptualize no awareness of any sort. Introduce them into any hostile environment and see if they complain. They can't because they are not sentient. They are unaware of anything.

It is much like saying that bricks don't have hair so they are theists; non sequitur.
    Last edited by Ro3bert; 31st May 2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

12. Like button THWOTH liked this post

An atheist is someone who has good reason to believe that the claims and assertions of theists etc are unbelievable.
    ...never eat your own nose...