Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Default Re: Gun Control

meanwhile in the Lucky Country ...

Peter Dutton in talks to create gun lobby ‘council’ to change firearms laws

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...w-rule-changes

The Home Affairs minister, Peter Dutton, is considering establishing a committee to allow gun importers to review proposed changes to firearm regulations for “appropriateness and intent”.
    Following a meeting with a pro-gun lobbyist in February, Dutton is weighing up whether to establish a so-called “firearms advisory council”, which the gun lobby says would give it “a seat at the table” to advise the government on firearms policy.
    Last month Dutton met with Robert Nioa, one of Australia’s largest gun dealers, to discuss the council.
    A major political donor to his father-in-law, the federal MP Bob Katter, Nioa is also a director of the firearms industry lobbying group Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia, or Sifa.
    Sifa’s other directors include the general manager of Winchester Australia, Clive Pugh and the managing director of Beretta Australia, Luca Scribani Rossi.
    The group donated to Liberal and National MPs in the lead-up to the 2016 federal election and pumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into a campaign that helped minor rightwing parties gain votes in last year’s Queensland state election.
    considering we are trying so hard to be like the US, it reminds me of an old joke about Golda Meir. When one of her advisors suggested Israel can solve its problems by declaring war on the US, to which the US would react by conquering Israel and making it the 51st state. Golda replied: 'yes. but what if we win?'
    Last edited by Stub King; 15th March 2018 at 08:27 AM.
    The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it. (Osho)

2. Laugh button The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post

Quote Stub King said View Post
    meanwhile in the Lucky Country ...

Peter Dutton in talks to create gun lobby ‘council’ to change firearms laws

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...w-rule-changes

considering we are trying to hard to be like the US, it reminds me of an old joke about Golda Meir. When one of her advisors suggested Israel can solve its problems by declaring war on the US, to which the US would react by conquering Israel and making it the 51st state. Golda replied: 'yes. but what if we win?'
    Oh for fucks sake, more unelected corporate representatives messing with government policy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4. Like button 142857, Blue Lightning liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

Quote LadyGreen said View Post
    Oh for fucks sake, more unelected corporate representatives messing with government policy.

Corporations govern, not governments.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Funny how things like safe schools is a marxist conspiracy but you get a bunch of politions taking money from corporate groups and suddenly deciding whatever product/service they peddle is a great idea and very few peolple even blink.

Guardian - Tim Fischer warns 'NRA-inspired' firearms lobby targeting Australia's gun laws

One of the architects of Australia’s strict gun control laws says he is “deeply concerned” about the emergence of what he described as a US-inspired firearms lobby.

Tim Fischer, the former deputy prime minister and leader of the National party who alongside John Howard helped to pass landmark reforms after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, says he believes a “wave” of firearm lobbying influenced by the US National Rifle Association is putting renewed pressure on Australian gun laws.

Fischer told the Guardian he believed “NRA-inspired” lobbying coupled with the increased influence of rightwing parties such as One Nation in Canberra and the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party in New South Wales had influenced a “pushback” against Australia’s gun laws, and called on politicians to stand up to pressure.

“Waves of NRA-originated ideology do descend on Australia and have done since 1996,” he said. “I think we are seeing another wave of the NRA’s indirect influence descending on Australia at the federal and state levels [and] that’s deeply concerning to me.”

Fischer’s warning comes in the context of an increasingly well-funded and organised gun lobby with ties to weapons importers and manufacturers.

Last week the Guardian revealed that the home affairs minister, Peter Dutton, was considering establishing a committee to allow gun importers to review proposed changes to firearm regulations for “appropriateness and intent”.

The proposal to establish the committee was put to Dutton during a private meeting with representatives from gun importer Nioa and the Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia (Sifa).

A lobbying outfit whose directors include some of Australia’s largest gun dealers, Sifa has only five members and represents a departure from the membership-driven model of most shooting groups in Australia. But what it lacks in numbers it makes up for in funding and influence.
    My bold red: So, like the ACL, but guns instead of gods?

Hoo-fucking-ray.

Not.

Rest of this highly depressing article @ source.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

8. Thank button Blue Lightning thanked this post

No evidence for this thought but it would not surprise me if the NRA has decided to help white ant our laws as they are constantly being held up as an example of what could be done in America.
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

10. Like button Darwinsbulldog, 142857 liked this post
    Thank button Blue Lightning, Strato thanked this post

ABC

Authorities in Mississippi say a nine-year-old boy has shot his 13-year-old sister in the head and wounded her after an argument over a video game controller.

Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told local news outlets that the girl would not give up the video game controller when her brother wanted it on Saturday (local time).

He said the boy shot the girl in the back of the head and that the bullet entered her brain.

"Last night she wasn't doing real good. This is a very serious situation," he told the Clarion Ledger.

"He's just nine. I assume he's seen this on video games or TV.

"I don't know if he knew exactly what this would do. I can't answer that. I do know it's a tragedy."

The girl was rushed to Le Bonheur's Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

Details of her condition were not immediately known.

Authorities said they do not yet know how the firearm used in the shooting had been accessed.
    More@source
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

12. Thank button 142857, knowledge is power thanked this post

Interesting article on the Justine Damond situation.

Justine Damond police shooting shows the gulf between America and Australia

After eight months of investigations, charges have been laid against Mohamed Noor, the police officer who fired the shot that killed Australian life coach Justine Damond in Minneapolis just before midnight on July 15 last year.

Noor turned himself in to Minneapolis authorities on March 20 after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Damond made a 911 emergency call to police, reporting that she thought she had heard a woman's screams outside her home. She approached the police patrol car when it arrived, only to be killed seconds later by a bullet fired by Noor.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman reported Noor had been charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. He said:

There is no evidence Noor encountered a threat, appreciated a threat, investigated a threat or confirmed a threat that justified his decision to use deadly force. [He] recklessly and intentionally fired his hand gun from the passenger seat in disregard for human life.

Let's put to one side the facts of this case, because the legal process is yet to reach a conclusion — and, until that time, Noor enjoys the presumption of innocence.

Let's instead use the tragedy of Damond's death to look more broadly at the issue of keeping the public safe from the reckless use of police firepower. Let me offer some observations comparing the US and Australia in this regard.
    Here's the interesting stuff.

US shootings dwarf Australia's
    US police officers are routinely armed. So are Australian police. But there is a marked difference between these countries in relation to fatal outcomes.

No one can be certain exactly how many people are killed by police firearms each year in the US because there is no single repository for this information.

The Washington Post newspaper counted 963 fatalities in 2016. A public interest group, Fatal Encounters, estimated 1,500 people were shot by police each year from 2013 to 2015.

Let's take a conservative approach and agree the number to be 1,200 deaths per year. The US has a population of about 326 million.

In Australia, on average, around six to eight people are killed by police firearms each year. We have a population of 24 million.

This means that a civilian is about 12 times more likely to be shot and killed by a police firearm in the US than by a police firearm in Australia.
    Let that sink in for a start.

Why such a marked difference?

The literature tells us the number of civilian deaths caused by police firearms varies according to the standard of police firearms training, the rules that pertain to the police use of lethal force, and the gun culture in the society in which officers operate, including the level of militarisation of police forces.

There is little doubt that firearms training suffers when there are multiple providers and the lack of a common centralised provider.

This is important in the US context, given that there are some 15,000 police commands in that nation.

In contrast, we have only eight police commands across Australia, namely the police departments of the six states, the Northern Territory Police, and the Australian Federal Police.

Also, the rules pertaining to the deployment of police firearms in Australia are extremely demanding. In contrast, American police officers need only have a "reasonable belief" that a firearm should be deployed.

Finally, there is little doubt that the gun culture of the US is a factor in police shootings of civilians.

Officers in the US are primed to expect a gun on any routine encounter, given US citizens' ready access to firearms.

Indeed, a significant percentage — perhaps as high as a third — of US households has access to a gun. Only about 6 per cent of Australian householders own a firearm.
    My bold. Where gun culture contributes to more police shootings as well as more shootings overall.

How do we stay safe?
    How do we prevent ourselves going down the path that the United States has taken? The answers are straightforward. We must continue to insist on high standards of accountability and training for those who have access to lethal force.
    Note the above heading. How do we stay safe? From going down the road of more police shootings in Australia? "How do we stay safe from Police killing more civilians?" should be the headline.

More at link.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
    —Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary

14. Like button LadyGreen liked this post

Quote bruce1937 said View Post
    No evidence for this thought but it would not surprise me if the NRA has decided to help white ant our laws as they are constantly being held up as an example of what could be done in America.
    It wouldn't surprise me one iota, mate.
    -Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Quote wolty said View Post
    This means that a civilian is about 12 times more likely to be shot and killed by a police firearm in the US than by a police firearm in Australia.
    64 police, on average, in the US are feloniously killed in the line of duty each year (from Wikipedia). I can't even remember the last time I heard about a police officer being feloniously killed in the line of duty in Australia - it tends to be big news when it does happen. A more dangerous work environment might lead to some US cops being more inclined to shoot first and ask questions later.

Not an excuse by any means and cops need to be held accountable for any excessive use of force, particularly deadly force.