Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Raif Badawi

prudie is offline Like a supermod without the lycra Moderator

Default Free Raif Badawi

For those who receive the Australian Atheist magazine, in the Jan-Mar issue this year I featured the travesty that is Saudi Rabia's treatment of Raif Badawi.

RThe Supreme court in Saudi Arabia has upheld the sentence of ten years and 1,000 public lashes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33039815

I called on all atheists in the magazine to write to the Saudi Embassy. I'm asking you to do so again. Raif did nothing other than have a freethought blog and allow people to post opinions. In Saudi Arabia that warrented him getting ten years and 1,000 public lashes. I am livid.

The contact details for the Saudi embassy:

38 GuilFoyle Street
    Yarralumla ACT 2600
    auemb@mofa.gov.sa

The contact details for the Australian Embassy in Saudi Aarabia:

PO Box 94400
    Riyadh
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

You can also contact the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Julie Bishop and tell her, as an Australian citizen you want displomatic relations with Saudi Arabia suspended until they stop human rights abuses against atheists and freethinkers like Raif Badawi. Her contact details are:

Parliamentary Office
    PO Box 6022
    House of Representatives
    Parliament House
    Canberra ACT 2600
    Electorate Office
    PO Box 2010
    Subiaco, WA, 6904
    Julie.Bishop.MP@aph.gov.au

Video Footage of Raif's first public flogging that caused international condemnation:
    ΙΧΘΥΣ: Ah, prudie, the face that launched a thousand crypts.

Default Re: Free Raif Badawi

Thanks prudie ,done and done.
    It is said that men may not be the dreams of the god, but rather that the gods are the dreams of men.
    ― Carl Sagan

Indeed. Thank you Prudie.

Done and done.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

prudie is offline Like a supermod without the lycra Moderator

Thanks guys
    ΙΧΘΥΣ: Ah, prudie, the face that launched a thousand crypts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcok...layer_embedded

Thank you Prudie for linking the video. I watched this shocking video as well and find myself considering the whole middle east situation in a different light with the religious fanatics on both sides committing the most barbarous evil to innocents.

Raif spoke up against these sorts of atrocities only to have them inflicted on him as well. We need more people like him. I will write now to the Saudi embassy and to Julie Bishop.
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

Done. Sent to Saudi Ambassador and cc to Julie Bishop
    Excellency Nabil Al Saleh
    Ambassador for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Your Excellency

Raif Badawi has been convicted of criticising the Saudi regime, however criticising authority is a fundamental human right. When there is nobody to speak up against the abuse of power then evil triumphs. It is in Saudi Arabia’s own interests to encourage democratic discourse, which includes criticism, in order to avoid the type of civil war which engulfs countries in which the rights of free thought are too long and too violently suppressed. Saudi Arabia is stepping down that path of violence with it’s brutal imprisonment and lashing of Raif Badawi.

Those who claim to be religious should never be above criticism. Raif has spoken up against atrocities committed in the name of religion. It is criticisms but the abuses of religious power which sully the name of Muslims and indeed Islam. I am referring to evil actions like the stoning of women, ritual beheadings, and public floggings carried out in the name of Islam. This case brings shines the light of world attention on Saudi Arabia. It is in the interests of your country to release Mr Badawi forthwith.

Yours faithfully
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

Letter sent to Ms Bishop, however, I am still considering my draft to the Saudi authorities. Wadeye, can I use some of your ideas? it is pointless to write something that may not be read beyond the first sentence?
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

It is a very good letter, wadaye. It is hard to weed out typos from text before sending. They do detract a little, sadly.

Your Excellency.
    Last edited by Strato; 11th June 2015 at 08:41 PM.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Thank you Strato and Bulldog, I regretted not editing as soon as I saw it but it was too late. It's a slow lesson for me. Bulldog or anyone for sure go for it. They certainly need to be told in the strongest possible voice that it is they who defame their own god by their actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote wadaye said View Post
    Thank you Strato and Bulldog, I regretted not editing as soon as I saw it but it was too late. It's a slow lesson for me. Bulldog or anyone for sure go for it. They certainly need to be told in the strongest possible voice that it is they who defame their own god by their actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks wadeye! my letters to the Saudis start off reasonable but quickly degenerate into a lot of personal insults that would make a Nazi blush!

Ok Done. I used your framework wadeye, but I think I have blown my chances of 72 virgins in the afterlife! Thanks.
    Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 12th June 2015 at 01:47 AM. Reason: ETA added ....thanks....
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.