Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: GAC 2015

Default Re: GAC 2015

I like de Poddie-Cat better than Dawkins.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    I like de Poddie-Cat better than Dawkins.
    Bloody hell, you're easy to please! Hoping for a good mixture of folks, like the 2012 one, if there's another one on the horizon.

I was there at the 2015 GAC when DBD did de Poddie-Cat!

No, wait ...
    "Just stick to the idea that science is just about making descriptive models of natural phenomena, whose emergent predictions are tested to destruction" - Woof!
    "Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman

Quote Blue Lightning said View Post
    I was there at the 2015 GAC when DBD did de Poddie-Cat!

No, wait ...
    I think that was the Melbourne Comedy Festival that you're confused with there!

I'm wondering if there'll be an atheist-theme for the future Melb Comedy Fest - I'm finding a bunch of performers this year at the Perth Fringe who are distinctly pro-atheism/rationalism.

5. Like button Blue Lightning liked this post

@TS- when will Perth Fringe be? Is it likely to be filmed?
    Last edited by Blue Lightning; 24th January 2016 at 09:26 AM.
    "Just stick to the idea that science is just about making descriptive models of natural phenomena, whose emergent predictions are tested to destruction" - Woof!
    "Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman

Perth Fringe has just opened http://www.fringeworld.com.au/ and runs for about a month

It's in multiple venues (more than 100) so I don't think much (if any) of it will be filmed

8. Thank button Blue Lightning thanked this post

The Fringe Festival over here in Perth went really well again this year, with I think a 30% increase in ticket sales, which I believe makes it the 3rd largest in the world (read that somewhere). I saw a few shows which were mostly very entertaining. The crowds also seemed to be very open minded and engaging, which is different for Perth as it is still very conservative.

Perth Fringe was great fun this year; got to see the following pro-atheist artists/comedians:
    - Sami Shah (he should be at a future GAC!)
    - Simon Taylor (always excellent, great MC)
    - Tom Ballard
    Magicians are always great, as they are open about the tricks behind mentalism, manipulation, et al
    Some of my interviews are podcasted over at Tokenskeptic.org.

Also the Perth Writers Festival and the International Arts Festival usually has a few treats of the rationalist-sort - a few years ago, the author Lionel Shriver came and did the opening talk about atheism and she was BRILLIANT.