Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GAC 2015

Question GAC 2015

What's happened to the Global Atheist Conventions???

We didn't have one last year, doesn't look like there'll be one this year.

What's the story? Has everyone lost interest or is there some other reason?

With Abbott in charge we desperately need another one.

Default Re: GAC 2015

I think they're still on, but as they are 'global' they will be in different countries every year.
    Who knows when it will come back to Australia?
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

The GAC's were run by the old guard of the AFA. As far as I know, no-one of the organisers of GAC 1 and 2 is still part of the committee. I've heard nothing about a GAC being held anywhere else in the coming years.

I know djarm is keen, or was a few years ago. It's a fucking nighmare to organise. I wouldn't try it, especially given that some 'leading lights' are demanding upwards of ten grand t appear and speak these days. I'd tell 'em to fuck off happily, and get in people who just wanted to tell the stories that need to be told.
    -Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

prudie is offline Like a supermod without the lycra Moderator

Quote Goldenmane said View Post
    The GAC's were run by the old guard of the AFA. As far as I know, no-one of the organisers of GAC 1 and 2 is still part of the committee. I've heard nothing about a GAC being held anywhere else in the coming years.

I know djarm is keen, or was a few years ago. It's a fucking nighmare to organise. I wouldn't try it, especially given that some 'leading lights' are demanding upwards of ten grand t appear and speak these days. I'd tell 'em to fuck off happily, and get in people who just wanted to tell the stories that need to be told.
    yeah there are still committee members that were involved in the GAC's
    ΙΧΘΥΣ: Ah, prudie, the face that launched a thousand crypts.

Quote Goldenmane said View Post

This. We don't need messiahs [or at least expensive ones]. Worship Pod Blacks or Goldenbrains if we must. A lot of people are over Dawkins anyways. The main thing is to get together. We don't need 5,000, so we won't needs 5000 loaves and fucking fishes, so the GAC won't be as hard logistically.
    And we need a new theme, like post-atheism or summat. Perhaps we can extend the conf to attacking other woo as well, like free markets and corporate globalism, which are just as deadly in their own way, to a free and equitable life. Most common people hate globalisation anyway, so they might be interested in an "atheist" perspective.
    Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 29th January 2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

workmx is offline Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

DBD - sounds interesting.

I will be happy to help out with organising another GAC.

A shift of focus to everyday, grassroots atheism might be good.

Maybe in 2016?
    Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut!

Quote workmx said View Post

Maybe in 2016?
    Same here. The previous committees seemed "anti-grassroots", and were focused on getting big name celebs. That is fine. But we done that -twice. But the focus on the "big-event" meant no resources were put into a grass-roots" or "fringe" GAC. In fact the "FRINGE-GAC" became so marginal it dissipated in a puff of smoke.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

workmx is offline Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post

Maybe in 2016?
    Same here. The previous committees seemed "anti-grassroots", and were focused on getting big name celebs. That is fine. But we done that -twice. But the focus on the "big-event" meant no resources were put into a grass-roots" or "fringe" GAC. In fact the "FRINGE-GAC" became so marginal it dissipated in a puff of smoke.
    What about making the main event about how atheists are your friends/neighbours/co-workers?

"GAC 2016: Normalising Atheism" springs to mind.

By focusing on the big names, we miss that atheism is common almost mundane.

One of the biggest problems that atheists face is that others do not trust them.

Seems like a good chance to combat that distrust.
    Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut!

What about making the main event about how atheists are your friends/neighbours/co-workers?

"GAC 2016: Normalising Atheism" springs to mind.

By focusing on the big names, we miss that atheism is common almost mundane.

One of the biggest problems that atheists face is that others do not trust them.

Seems like a good chance to combat that distrust.
    Yeah, we really need to get out that message that atheists are regular folks, and are as ethical [if not mORE] than everybody else!

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    Yeah, we really need to get out that message that atheists are regular folks, and are as ethical [if not mORE] than everybody else!
    Not sure that telling everyone we are more ethical than them is going to endear us to anyone.

'HiThere!, Have you heard of atheism and atheists? We're much the same as you, except we are more ethical. Have a nice day now, ya hear?'

Maybe calling christians stupid isn't the most heart-warming either?
    Let's face it, we suck at PR
    JE SUIS CHARLIE