Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw an article on Geocentrism which I wanted to comment on.

Default Saw an article on Geocentrism which I wanted to comment on.

I am completely opposed to the kooky atheist view.

odd is offline I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord. Moderator

Default Re: Saw an article on Geocentrism which I wanted to comment on.

Welcome to the forum. Which geocentrism article?

A little tip with a view to seeing this end in an enlightening discussion, rather than the unpleasant alternative, why don't you start by asking us what our view actually is on the topic you are interested in? It usually works a lot better than the usual approach of telling us what it is.

Hope you enjoy the place.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

Quote excubitor said View Post
    what view would that be, and why is it kooky?
    Prejudices are what fools use for reason. Voltaire

So no discussion then? What are you doing here?
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

5. 7th August 2014, 02:51 PM

Reason
    Wrong thread.

Waiting for something about geocentrism and its connection to some widely held atheist view? Not sure there is a widely held atheist view about anything except the non-existence of deities.

A scientific, rather than atheist, view is that geocentrism fails as a hypothesis for the mechanics of the relative motion of bodies in space.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Quote DanDare said View Post
    Waiting for something about geocentrism and its connection to some widely held atheist view? Not sure there is a widely held atheist view about anything except the non-existence of deities.

A scientific, rather than atheist, view is that geocentrism fails as a hypothesis for the mechanics of the relative motion of bodies in space.
    He thinks it kooky that athiests don't believe in geocentrism, it does come to mind that he is a bit lacking in the understanding of athiesm as well, maybe we should have got him to explain his understanding of atheism just so we know where he is coming from.
    From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"

Quote stevebrooks said View Post
    He thinks it kooky that athiests don't believe in geocentrism, it does come to mind that he is a bit lacking in the understanding of athiesm as well, maybe we should have got him to explain his understanding of atheism just so we know where he is coming from.
    Good luck with that, e does not seem to be one for explaining positions or understanding. More along the lines of bold assertion and a challenge " prove me wrong" As is often the case this failure of the fundamental concepts of reasoned evidence and logic ( eg burden of proof) opens the door to any balmy notion floating by
    "Here kitty, kitty, kitty ..." Erwin Schrodinger

I am being completely misrepresented here. I did not start this thread. Nor did I create a post with just these words alone.

I believe I am being quote mined.

Please delete this thread. Create another one with the OP author being the person who started the thread and put the exact quote in quotation marks with a link to the original post.

I cannot recall saying those words and will not respond without recalling the context of the words.

Please correct this misrepresentation of my account immediately.

Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

Post 1 of this very thread, a thread on geocentrism.

In its entirety.

A thread which was indeed started by your good self.

That's the startling thing about fora, posters actual words are actually recorded and actually remain for anyone to peruse.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

You provided your own piece of rope and even tied a hangman's noose in it excubitor. Welcome to a site where you are accountable for where your fingers wander on the keyboard.
    "I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." Douglas Adams