Page 500 of 564 FirstFirst ... 400450490496497498499500501502503504510550 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 5632

Thread: Pub trivia

Default Re: Pub trivia

In the interest of keeping this thread alive, I'll post the answer I've Googled.I'll post a new question:

What is the highest altitude from which anyone has jumped from a balloon?
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Giving myself 1/2 a point for knowing that Kittinger held the record of something like 30km for 50 years. And that an Austrian (whose name escapes me) broke that record by about 10km. And that some other bloke beat the Austrian's record.

So...

Between 40km and 100km, cos that's where the Karman line is.

I'll let someone else be more precise than me.

What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach

Quote two dogs said View Post
    In the interest of keeping this thread alive, I'll post the answer I've Googled.I'll post a new question:

What is the highest altitude from which anyone has jumped from a balloon?
    Sorry, a lot of IRL stuff intervened.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Quote Voltairine said View Post
    Giving myself 1/2 a point for knowing that Kittinger held the record of something like 30km for 50 years. And that an Austrian (whose name escapes me) broke that record by about 10km. And that some other bloke beat the Austrian's record.

So...

Between 40km and 100km, cos that's where the Karman line is.

I'll let someone else be more precise than me.

Kittinger's jump in 1960 was from 31,300m.
    Baumgartner's jump in 2012 was from 38,969m.
    The current record holder's jump, in 2014, was from 41,419m.

Interestingly, of the three, Baumgartner didn't use a drogue parachute to slow his descent, and holds the record for the fastest fall, at 1,342km/h!

As Voltairine seems to know a lot about this, I'm inclined to reveal that it was Alan Eustace and have her pose the next question.
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Kittinger's jump in 1960 was from 31,300m.
    Baumgartner's jump in 2012 was from 38,969m.
    The current record holder's jump, in 2014, was from 41,419m.

Interestingly, of the three, Baumgartner didn't use a drogue parachute to slow his descent, and holds the record for the fastest fall, at 1,342km/h!

As Voltairine seems to know a lot about this, I'm inclined to reveal that it was Alan Eustace and have her pose the next question.

Er... but I wasn't even right. Well, technically I was because it was between 40 and 100km.

But if anyone wants a go, please, please go ahead.
    What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach

6. Like button two dogs liked this post

Okay, got one (so we can nobly pass on the faded, dog-eared laurels)...

In what year did the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm award the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine to Barry Marshall and Robin Warren "for their discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease" ?

_____

1997?

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

1997?
    No.

Although Marshall and Warren published their findings in 1985, the Nobel Prize Committee is notoriously slow at recognising a winner's research.

_____

I guess 1990
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Never, they couldn't stomach the research?
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

12. Laugh button two dogs, Voltairine laughed at this post