Page 340 of 564 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390440 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 5632

Thread: Pub trivia

Default Re: Pub trivia

Does it have something to do with Charlemagne starting schools for the sons of noblemen so that Europe could start to emerge from the Dark Ages? 9th Century? Or do I have the wrong Charles?
    That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind. Neil Armstrong (1930-2012), 20 July 1969

Nope, you are correct. It was Charlemagne! Basically a reform of the clergy. Charlie established schools in 789 aimed at improving the intellectual and moral standards of the church. A guy named Alcuin did most of the spade work. Charlemagne was an excellent leader, general and administrator. His government was much more like the modern type than what was the norm for the day. Probably because the Carolingian dynasty was more merit-based than hereditary, starting with his ancestor, Henry Fowler.
    In any case the reforms arguably led to arise in intellectual life, including pre-Galileon science.

Source:
    Freely, John (2012) "Before Galileo: The Birth Of Modern Science in Medieval Europe". London, Duckworth. ~ p61
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Ok another royal question. Who is the world's current longest serving monarch?
    That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind. Neil Armstrong (1930-2012), 20 July 1969

The king of Thailand? Can't spell his name.
    I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain

Me neither, that will be fine. Too easy

Continuing the Royal theme who is the shortest reining monarch of all time.
    I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain

The king of Nepal who never actually regained consciousness after being shot by his brother. Dipendra?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

This may depend on what you would call a monarch.

There were several Popes who only lasted a couple of days (Stephen, one of the Urbans, I think there was another). These are more heads of states than monarchs though.

The Gordian's proclaimed themselves the joint Emperors of Rome at the same time Maximinus I was ruling as Augustus in the north and only lasted a few weeks before the younger was killed. As a side note 238 was a great year for the Roman Empire, it's the year of the 6 rulers!

Of course there was the French prince who only ruled for about an hour because he signed his acceptance and abdication at basically the same time. I'm sure he was given one of the Louis names.
    - Insert Funny/Memorable Quote Here -

Quote Adam1982 said View Post
    This may depend on what you would call a monarch.

There were several Popes who only lasted a couple of days (Stephen, one of the Urbans, I think there was another). These are more heads of states than monarchs though.

The Gordian's proclaimed themselves the joint Emperors of Rome at the same time Maximinus I was ruling as Augustus in the north and only lasted a few weeks before the younger was killed. As a side note 238 was a great year for the Roman Empire, it's the year of the 6 rulers!

Of course there was the French prince who only ruled for about an hour because he signed his acceptance and abdication at basically the same time. I'm sure he was given one of the Louis names.
    Close enough Adam, the French monarch Louis the 19th ruled for 20 minutes.
    Mark Twain

ok, here's an odd one that for some reason I always remember;

Where did Stud Poker get it's name?
    - Insert Funny/Memorable Quote Here -