Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960

Thread: Euthanasia

Default Re: Euthanasia

Voluntary euthanasia would win 'overwhelming' backing in Queensland - GUARDIAN

The organisation behind a fledgling voluntary euthanasia campaign in Queensland says it believes private support among MPs is overwhelming, and expects a Victorian-style parliamentary inquiry to be under way by the end of the year.

The much-loved former Brisbane lord mayor Clem Jones, whose multimillion-dollar estate was left to charitable causes, asked for up to $5m to be set aside to support voluntary euthanasia.

Earlier this year, the Clem Jones Trust chair, David Muir, wrote to every Queensland MP outlining the trust’s intention to launch a campaign in the state.

Muir has since held a series of meetings with ministers and MPs and believes voluntary assisted dying laws would pass comfortably if the parliament held a conscience vote.

“Overwhelmingly so,” he said.

Queensland Labor voted to formally support voluntary assisted dying at its 2017 annual conference but Annastacia’s Palaszczuk’s government has so far been reluctant to take even tentative steps.

The premier has said an inquiry could be considered “down the track” but the issue wasn’t a priority at the outset of her government’s second term.
    More@source
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Thank button Darwinsbulldog thanked this post

104, not out, but not at all happy about that:
    Speaking matter-of-factly on the topic, Dr Goodall said he was neither fearful nor saddened about the prospect of his death.

"Why should it make me sad?" he asked.

"I don't regard it as grim, I regard it as natural.

"One lives some decades and then one dies. It's not sad. What is sad is if one is prevented."

Dr Goodall's daughter, Karen Goodall-Smith, is a clinical psychologist who has had frank discussions with her father about life and death.

"I am close to David and don't want this," Ms Goodall-Smith said.

"But also understand that there is little dignity and self-respect being so dependent on others.

"The doors have been gradually closing to him because of his physical wellbeing.

"He is stuck, he has no control over his life, over his body, over his eyesight.

"He's lived a really good 104 years. Whatever happens, whatever choices are made, they're up to him."

Ms Goodall-Smith, her brother and her son are now providing around the clock care to Dr Goodall in the hope that he won't have to move into a nursing home.

When asked if he'd had a happy birthday, Dr Goodall responded succinctly.

"No," he said. "I'm not happy. I want to die."
    all there @ source
    EJB

4. Thank button Darwinsbulldog thanked this post

This is a link to an article, (one of a number on the story), about a couple in Canada who chose euthanasia to end their lives.

I think is poignant and relevant.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...eir-own-terms/

I am Mad(dox).

6. Like button NNY, The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post

Quote Maddox Zenatah said View Post
    This is a link to an article, (one of a number on the story), about a couple in Canada who chose euthanasia to end their lives.

I think is poignant and relevant.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...eir-own-terms/
    With love. With dignity. Together.

How lovely.
    EJB