Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the "isn't that just like a religious gathering" comment

Default Re: Dealing with the "isn't that just like a religious gathering" comment

Quote Centauri said View Post
    Grumpy old fuck? More like snide, and pretends to be more experienced in the world than he is.

Do something better in your retirement.
    So, I'm a snide pretender, I like that.
    What makes you think I'm pretending? You don't know me.
    In fact, for you to judge me on how experienced I am in the world, you would have to be fairly experienced yourself.
    Come on then, what makes you the expert?

Default Re: Dealing with the "isn't that just like a religious gathering" comment

Quote Bolero said View Post
    Me, I have zero interest in changing your mind.

I enjoy going to these things because I'm smart and I like listening to smart people talk about smart things. End of story. I feel no need to have you agree with me that it's a worthwhile use of my time.
    There are smart people everywhere. You don't have to be smart to be an Atheist. Look at me for example. (Just getting in before you.)
    I just want to know why these conventions are so great because nobody seems to say why. I have zero interest in your intelligence.
    I'm extremely flexible in my opinions. I like having my mind changed.
    It might not sound like it, but I'm interested in going but I don't want to go just because all the other Atheists are doing it.

Quote Fearless said View Post
    Peter, imagine you have liked boats, travel and adventure since you were a child, growing up you spent some time on yachts, charters, ferries etc. there is so much more you would like to experience and learn. Sailing a yacht around the world would be an amazing opportunity, but you have neither the funds required nor the means. You could go and buy/read books about others who have sailed the globe, but it isn't quite the same is it?

Before you know it a handful of people who have sailed amazing journeys, who you respect and would love to meet, all decide to come to one place to share their experiences and stories, you could even brush shoulders with them over lunch for a chat. What an experience it would be!

If you knew they were coming a year in advance you could save some money here and there to go. Depends how passionate you are and if you have the ability to go.

Not a great deal of difference in my eyes.

As for security, and risk of an incident, it shouldn't hold us back. We're not a high risk group really, only really a few fundie religions with nothing better to do than to try to disrupt things by waving banners and spouting crap about the place.
    Thanks. That's a good reason to go. So everyone's quite friendly then.
    Maybe I will go to the next one and hold my judgements until after that.
    I can hang around Bolero, like a dumb little brother that your mother forces you to hang out with.
    :-)

No need to stir the pot.

I guess at the end of the day the choice is yours.

Like atheists, you may find it difficult to herd cats, but if you can draw 1000's in something must be good surely.

If in doubt, just buy the vid, or watch some of the clips online.

The GAC is nothing like a religious gathering and everything like a mix of Sci-Fi convention and political strategy meeting.
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Quote Peter Burnett said View Post
    There are smart people everywhere. You don't have to be smart to be an Atheist. Look at me for example. (Just getting in before you.)
    I just want to know why these conventions are so great because nobody seems to say why. I have zero interest in your intelligence.
    I'm extremely flexible in my opinions. I like having my mind changed.
    It might not sound like it, but I'm interested in going but I don't want to go just because all the other Atheists are doing it.
    Mate, you wondered why people would go, so I told you my reason. If you have zero interest, don't ask.

Honestly, I really enjoy the intellectual discussion at atheist meetups and various other events like the GAC. Sure, you don't have to be atheist to encounter that, but I have found more intelligent folk at these things than at other gatherings. That's all.
    "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Bolero said View Post
    Mate, you wondered why people would go, so I told you my reason. If you have zero interest, don't ask.

Honestly, I really enjoy the intellectual discussion at atheist meetups and various other events like the GAC. Sure, you don't have to be atheist to encounter that, but I have found more intelligent folk at these things than at other gatherings. That's all.
    This should have been how I phrased the original question.
    I'm slightly interested in going to the next Atheist convention.
    I don't know much about it and, having a short attention span, I'm worried about getting bored or wasting my money, which I don't have a lot of.
    In the future I am going to be very careful to phrase my questions so as not to be so confronting, or to come off like a total arsehole.

Quote Peter Burnett said View Post
    This should have been how I phrased the original question.
    I'm slightly interested in going to the next Atheist convention.
    I don't know much about it and, having a short attention span, I'm worried about getting bored or wasting my money, which I don't have a lot of.
    In the future I am going to be very careful to phrase my questions so as not to be so confronting, or to come off like a total arsehole.
    Fair enough.
    "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
    Salvador Dali

Anyone see the story about the Atheist church in Britain? It's exactly like a religious gathering only for like minded atheists.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/bri...-1226595770888

Maybe for atheism to become mainstream (rather than an intellectual elitist conceit ;-) it needs a few of the trappings and rituals of religion?
    nakedape - winning the war for open hearts and minds, one smile at a time

Quote nickj69 said View Post
    Anyone see the story about the Atheist church in Britain? It's exactly like a religious gathering only for like minded atheists.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/bri...-1226595770888

Maybe for atheism to become mainstream (rather than an intellectual elitist conceit ;-) it needs a few of the trappings and rituals of religion?
    Please no more Alain de Botton and atheism 2.0!

We do not need to replace the concept of worship of gods with the worship of something else.
    I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain