Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Atheism is a religion

Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote Voltairine said View Post
    The general reply is "if atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby".
    I like this reply; simple, to the point and difficult to argue with. One for my quote collection.
    "We live, we die and the wheels on the bus go round and round". Bucket list.

Quote TASIN said View Post
    I like this reply; simple, to the point and difficult to argue with. One for my quote collection.
    I take zero credit for it. And it's been misattributed to many.

Another one, useful in the age of the omnipresent gogglebox, is: Atheism is a religion like Off is a TV channel.
    What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach

So in paperwork etc when the box asks for religion, what do you write?

Depends what sort of paperwork. Usually they give a 'non religious' or 'Other' option, otherwise I would be writing nothing unless I had to.

I can't recall the last time I saw such an option on a form. But with my bloody awful memory...
    What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach

Quote Voltairine said
    I can't recall the last time I saw such an option on a form. But with my bloody awful memory...
    I do them all the time at work. You'd think once would be enough.
    There was a question on the Census.

Where do you work?

P.S. The census here doesn't include it.

EDIT: You don't have to say where you work. I understand (too well) the need to be discreet.
    Last edited by Voltairine; 24th April 2012 at 05:01 PM.

_____

Quote gumboo said View Post
    With me being told my opinion is just my reality !

ITS REAL IRRITATING

The lovely thing is that the real reality does not require any god or magic
    and living in the real world is fantastic
    The answer to this is relatively easy, its that everyone behaves in a way the supports your reality, therefore your reality is the real reality, ask them to behave in a way that doesn't fit with your reality. If they can't then your reality is thier reality.

One good example is dying and coming back to life after 3 days, they won't even attempt this because they know that after 3 days they will still be dead, therefore their behaviour accords with your reality, their words may claim different, but their behaviour answers the question.

People who behave as if they are in a different reality with different rules either end up locked away to protect themselves and others, ie a serial killer, or end up dead. Words and thoughts are not a guide to reality, behaviour is, effects are. You jump from a 30 story building you die, if you believe you won't die when you jump from a 30 storey building, well got news for them, its thier reality thats faulty.

anyone notice that on facebook if you want to type in atheist you have to put it under the 'religion' category. I have left mine blank in protest

Quote I_FH said View Post
    I do them all the time at work. You'd think once would be enough.
    There was a question on the Census.
    You could choose 'no religion' on the census. We were backing a campaign here to stress the importance on marking 'no religion' if you weren't really practicing religion or were thinking of putting a dummy result in. Curious how this has had an impact on the results.