Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Symbols

Default Symbols

It's my experience that producing and using symbols is inherantly human, not at all unique to religion.

I'm looking for a secular symbol embodying the concepts of strength and temperance; in the form of something one might put on a necklace or have a tattoo made of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Symbols

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    The words themselves do just as well for me when I need something.

Why "secular" anyway? Is this to differentiate from "religious strength and temperance"?
    Yes, I would proffer the meaning of the symbol not be contingent on or imply to an observer my subscription to the belief in any god; such as a hammer of Thor.

Quote Jerry said View Post
    I'm looking for a secular symbol embodying the concepts of strength and temperance; in the form of something one might put on a necklace or have a tattoo made of.
    Schwarzenegger holding upside down an empty bottle of gin?

Find some of the old temperance advertisements and photoshop up some beef on the ladies?

Sorry, symbols beyond the use of words for communication are not my forte.
    There are no good arguments for gods.

Quote Jerry said
    It's my experience that producing and using symbols is inherantly human, not at all unique to religion.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Why not a simple barbell, it takes strength to lift and the metal used to make it is often tempered. Simple and direct analogies.
    I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain

Jerry, check out the tattoo's thread which is floating around somewhere here, you will see that quite a few of the folk here have marked themselves with an atheist "brand"
    My best advice is that for me tattoo's need to be something very personal, as obviously you'll be wearing it for some time!

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said
    Good things come to those who weight?
    Pfft.

I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain

Jerry? Do you have any ink already? I have several tats that mean nothing to anyone but me. Anyone could look at my ink and make assumptions, but I didn't get it for them. I LOVE the idea of a barbell, but that's just me. More importantly, it must mean something to you.
    "Piety is directly proportional to stupidity." Anthony W. Allsop.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite.

Roger FCD .

Quote Jerry said View Post
    I'm looking for a secular symbol embodying the concepts of strength and temperance
    Really?

You're looking for a "secular" symbol for two of the Christian "Cardinal Virtues"?

Methinks I smell rodentus disingenuous.
    When evidence conflicts with theory, science rejects the theory.
    When evidence conflicts with scripture, religion rejects the evidence.

If I was into using tattoos to express myself, a picture of Carl Sagan with a quote We are a way for the cosmos to know itself would be my choice

Ideas:

Some evolution tattoos

Basic

Extended - Bacteria to Archaea