Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undeniable Melbourne

prudie is offline Like a supermod without the lycra Moderator

Talking Undeniable Melbourne

http://undeniablemelbourne.com/

The fundies are starting to get restless. I have no idea who Ben Price is but I love his quote "If God were not true I must be insane."

I am excited as they claim to have "Undeniable proof" of god's existence.
    ΙΧΘΥΣ: Ah, prudie, the face that launched a thousand crypts.

Default Re: Undeniable Melbourne

I know that askegg, will be around the Suday night, so will I. So I'm planning to go.

They will be handing out "ASK ME MY STORY." t-shirts. I'll be wearing one of these.

Jin-oh (President, Launceston Skeptics) is a free thinking Skeptic and Atheist with a keen interest in social equality. Considered both a Nerd and a Geek, but with more social skills.

They'll be at the other end of the city with a rally? As long as they're not boring their kids by standing with a sign out the venue and dissapointing everyone with "irreducible complexity" as the best argument they can come up with. I remember everyone being rather crestfallen after that: "go on! Give us another one! No? Darn."

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Of course, it would be comedy gold to see Heresy in his full-on JC drag, posing for photos with a bunch of protestors.

DISCLAIMER: Do not attempt stunts with Happy Fun Protestor.
    Meh, not keen on giving them that much attention. But a Jesus popping up is always amusing!

I was there along with a few other GAC attendees, I ended up debating them for at least an hour and a half, I loved it Don't worry, I was nice

edit: And so were they, it might be worth adding.
    Last edited by mophosophical; 16th April 2012 at 01:39 AM.

I went there too. I had a number of rewarding conversations with a few Christians. I took to heart the message from Dr. Cannold that we should build bridges with moderate Christians because they oppose many of the same things that we oppose.

I deliberately marked myself out by wearing my lanyard and badge. I went in with a strategy of appearing non-threatening, finding common ground, and minimizing our differences.

It didn't take long for a few curious Christians to ask me what happened at the GAC. I replied that I went because I was concerned about the effects of some of the more radical aspects of religion on society, and emphasized that I was not against religion itself. "I totally respect you, and admire you for standing up for what you believe in" (Not really true, but very effective to make your opponent lower their guard).

I then went on to name some of the aspects that I found worrying - the rise of radical Islam, the teaching of Creationism in schools, the opposition to same sex marriage, the denial of women's rights, the harmful effects of the denial of contraception, opposition to stem cell research, as well as some things which had nothing to do with religion - global warming skepticism, alternative medicine, vaccination skepticism, pyramid marketing schemes, and opposition to genetically modified food technology. I pointed out that they may not agree with everything on my list, but those things are on my list precisely because if they are left unchallenged, real harm will result.

By the time I finished my spiel, I had nearly everyone gathered around me nodding their heads in agreement. Which was a very nice feeling.

One or two came up to proselytize, but I brushed them off by saying - "I am not here to attack you or your beliefs. In other words, I respect you. I ask that my respect be reciprocated, if you don't mind. Going down this path will be unpleasant for both of us, and I do not want that. We can talk about other things, if you like".

We are never going to make some of them give up their beliefs. But we can recruit the moderates to our side, and we can demonstrate that atheists are not as threatening as they may think.

Good job, Keith.

Much better to actually demonstrate that the claims of our critics are false. Actions speak louder than words, as someone once said.

Gary
    Stephen Fry: In 1900 there was a sport where Britain won a gold medal,
    in which the only other country that competed was France.
    Can you imagine what that might have been?

John Sessions: Arrogance?
    --== QI (Quite Interesting): Season 3 - Episode 4 ==--

Any estimate of numbers that attended, even if in vague terms such as huge, moderate, small, tiny etc?

Tapatalk 2
    "Instead of being born again why don't you just grow up"

Lord Blackadder is offline Minister for Religious Genocide Super Moderator
    Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote BlueDevil said View Post
    Any estimate of numbers that attended, even if in vague terms such as huge, moderate, small, tiny etc?

Tapatalk 2
    Approximately four thousand for the conference, two thousand for dinner on Saturday night.
    If atheism were true, why do cats have pretty stripes on them?

Quote BlueDevil said View Post
    Tapatalk 2
    I walked through Fed Square on my way to meet friends at around 7:15pm and I reckon there wouldn't have been any more than 100 or so people gathered around the stage. Certainly not 4000 anyway.
    "When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion."
    Robert M Pirsig