Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you're going solo, what did your friends say?

Default Re: If you're going solo, what did your friends say?

Well, most of my friends already know I am an atheist. They know that I am crazy and bold enough to do things like this.

Arrow Re: If you're going solo, what did your friends say?

I get the distinct impression with my mum I just shouldn't talk about it (Her initial response was..........just don't go joining any bloody cult!) oh groan and facepalm!!
    and at work when i said I had annual leave coming up and I was asked where I was going, I said Melbourne, Then was asked what I was doing there. That started a discussion no one wants to have with work colleagues etc etc. discovered that some of them are prob creationists and that evolution is just a belief (NO, This is supposed to be only in America... I had no idea it was prevelant here in NZ and worse I'm in the medical profession so no-one can accuse them of not knowing about appendix's the get infected etc)

I was lost for words and couldn't articulate....esp when I was told that atheism is a religion and That i have very very strong faith in no god (I'd only ever seen that sort of comment on you tube...............flabbergasted!)

So yes, I'm going along because I don't know anyone else who would want to come or has the money. But I am proud to come. And thanks to whoever started this thread

Quote jjcrazi said View Post
    I get the distinct impression with my mum I just shouldn't talk about it (Her initial response was..........just don't go joining any bloody cult!)

Hey! It's not just any cult.

Ooops.

Said too much.

I've actually got pretty good responses from friends, but that's just cause we all like getting into irritating philosophical debates together. That, and we all understand the enjoyment that is group drinking.
    Somedays it's just too much effort to chew through the restraints.

I am going solo, and yup, i get the looks and comments from family and friends.

I posted up on a motorcycle forum that predominately has Melbourne riders to see if anyone is going. If you got an hour to spend, have a read: http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/sh....php?t=130549#

Strangely enough, my two business partners are also atheists, and they even gave me a hard time!!

@ Andy, I read comments on page 1 and then had to stop. Quite sad instead of people asking genuinly what its about they go into straight out ignorant mockery. Can't be bothered with people like that.

Wow AndyP. If I ever get a spare 8 hours I'm gonna go in and wreak havoc on that thread

Quote jjcrazi said View Post
    I get the distinct impression with my mum I just shouldn't talk about it (Her initial response was..........just don't go joining any bloody cult!) oh groan and facepalm!!
    and at work when i said I had annual leave coming up and I was asked where I was going, I said Melbourne, Then was asked what I was doing there. That started a discussion no one wants to have with work colleagues etc etc. discovered that some of them are prob creationists and that evolution is just a belief (NO, This is supposed to be only in America... I had no idea it was prevelant here in NZ and worse I'm in the medical profession so no-one can accuse them of not knowing about appendix's the get infected etc)

I was lost for words and couldn't articulate....esp when I was told that atheism is a religion and That i have very very strong faith in no god (I'd only ever seen that sort of comment on you tube...............flabbergasted!)

So yes, I'm going along because I don't know anyone else who would want to come or has the money. But I am proud to come. And thanks to whoever started this thread
    Sorry to say your experience is certainly not unique. I hope you have an awesome time I am certainly intending to spend my time attending thought provoking lectures or being riotously drunk!

Mike

Logic please is offline Some need an imaginary wingman Super Moderator

Quote EvilDRMike said View Post
    Sorry to say your experience is certainly not unique. I hope you have an awesome time I am certainly intending to spend my time attending thought provoking lectures or being riotously drunk!
    And in no particular order, possibly...
    *Gods* are not only a legal fiction, but a fiction in every way. Just ask the nearest hippie...

Quote Logic please said View Post
    And in no particular order, possibly...
    I have certainly refrained from adding any weighting to the relative importance of those two item

Mike