View Single Post
Old 27th February 2009, 06:19 AM

Default Re: atheism & freemasonry - can they coexist?

I found this forum by accident and as a Freemason I think I need to set you people straight.
First off yes most definitely atheism and Freemasonry can coexist. The founding fathers were Freemasons and were hard core secularists as am I. It is essential to keep religion out of our schools and our politics. A very well known Freemason by the name of Thomas Jefferson said “It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. “ I have supported the atheist movement for a long time and am disturbed that you people do not know the roal the Freemasons have played in allowing a secularist movement to happen. America was set up as the first secularist state by Freemasons. Everyone is Free to believe or not believe whatever they want and any good Freemason would defend your right not too believe as strongly as they would defend their own right too believe. I personally am a deist and am opposed to many aspects of organized religion.
wishcraft you are a either a liar or those were not freemasons. Joining the Freemasons takes time and effort on your part and no Freemason will just come up and ask you to join let alone attempt to force you. That would be against the fundamentals of freemasonry. If you wanted to join you would have to get in contact with a lodge and go through a process of evaluation before joining. Also considering the vast amount of money the Freemasons give to charity every year, I fail to see how it is a scheme of any kind. There isn’t much money involved in joining or being a part of the Masons, mostly just going to fund rising dinners and things like that. Those normally go to charities or for operating costs and renovations for the lodge.
Like Jefferson I have no problem with atheists and I have many atheist friends. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Freemason that wants to put down atheists. BTW: There is no gold, the illuminati doesn’t exist, and we are not a religion. You’re not even supposed to discuss religion in a lodge meeting probably because we have many people of different faiths.