View Single Post
Old 18th July 2016, 07:42 PM
Default Re: Dissecting ptutt's assertions

odd said View Post
The point is, ptutt, that people have actually done what you are suggesting as a hypothetical. And, as you have noted, the courts then form the opinion that they are insane - because to murder someone and say god told you to do it is insane.

These people actually believed god had spoken to them - I have twice now told you of a woman who killed her own children with a rock, she was pretty certain it was a clear command... Are these people just acting on God's commands and we are presuming they are insane, or are they insane?
It is a reasonable point however if you look back a few posts i stated that typically biblical commands were confirmed by some miracle not just a voice in their head. Surely you must accept that an omnipotent God would have a means available so you would know the command is from him. And i mean know.

If not you would have to deny all forms of evidence which God may use.

I think an issue here is some are unable to empathise with the theists position. Have you ever tried to play chess against yourself? (Bobby Fischer trained himself doing this.) Switch the board around and see everything from your opponents point of view.