View Single Post
Old 18th April 2017, 04:57 PM
Buffoon

Default Re: Precautionary use of Video Card

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I'm not sure that I'm even overclocking my GPU - I do not know how to do this yet and wouldn't want to.

I'm really disappointed that it is nowhere near the top performance-wise.

If setting graphical settings at medium-high/beyond the recommended settings is unlikely to damage the video card so as long as performance runs smoothly (and as I've tried already, e.g. Mass Effect: Andromeda), why the hell does GeForce Experience panel optimiser set all graphics at very low and even screen resolution of 1600 x 900 (my laptop's is 1920 x 1080) for, for instance, Mass Effect: Andromeda in accordance to the video card's capabilities, if I were to launch from this panel? This leaves me wondering if I should abide by GeForce Experience's recommended settings to avoid any consequences like hardware failure.

Are you able to elaborate on that, Sendraks?
Sounds to me like there are a few possibles here.

1. You haven't set up the software correctly and thusly it isn't optimising correctly. Check all your settings are correct in the options menu first.

2. The software is shit and doesn't take into account you're on a laptop rather than a desktop. EVen if the game is optimising for performance (highest FPS) it should be setting the resolution to match that of your screen.

You are not going to overheat and damage your GPU by running the game at higher settings. That simply isn't how computer hardware works. Higher settings will lower the number of frames per second a game runs at that but, that is all.

Really the only way to overheat and damage your graphics card is adjusting the memory frequencies to overclock it. This is not something you can do by accident (usually) and it doesn't sound like you have any experience of that sort of thing, so you're unlikely to know where to begin anyway.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain