AFA Forums

AFA Forums (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/index.php)
-   Ask an atheist (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Swearing the Oath on the Sacred Holy Bible (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=31108)

Strato 7th February 2018 04:40 PM

Swearing the Oath on the Sacred Holy Bible

Yesterday my brother and I attended the solicitor doing the probate work on our mum's will.

Spying the black bible on the desk I remarked 'is that a Bible?'

"Yes, you are required to take the oath attesting that that is your signature on the probate forms and you are one of those persons identified therein as executor of your mother's will."

Something to that effect.

I ejaculated, "I'm an atheist."

"Oh well you can fill out a declaration form."

My brother said, "Just do it.":facepalm:

So I just did. I went along with the farce of holding the sacred book in my right hand, invoking Almighty God, the Yahweh of the fucking repugnant Bible.

But I'm no backslider.

And if only they knew what I know.

I should have said, 'Have you actually read it'? Just sayin'.

For my sake the Oath is to protect me from arbitrary charges of perjury. In the sacred ritual we are affirming and enforcing the norms of public and personal probity and integrity in these legal deliberations.

Quote:

'All a bit weird. Do people generally lie and cheat unless they've sworn an oath not to'?
Originally posted by sneekymum

'Not usually but it is far easier to charge you with perjury if you lie in an oath than to prove the other behaviours'.
Sig:
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5162938

SEG 7th February 2018 07:21 PM

Re: Swearing the Oath on the Sacred Holy Bible

Quote:

Strato said (Post 608940)
Yesterday my brother and I attended the solicitor doing the probate work on our mum's will.

Spying the black bible on the desk I remarked 'is that a Bible?'

"Yes, you are required to take the oath attesting that that is your signature on the probate forms and you are one of those persons identified therein as executor of your mother's will."

I went through something similar Strato when I was sworn in as a cop. We had to do it at our passing out parade with a Bible in hand or go to a separate back room and do an affirmation. Rather than stand out like a sore thumb and embarrass the relos, I took the easy route and faked it. It made a nice photo though.

wearestardust 9th February 2018 10:44 AM

In a past life where I sometimes had occasion to talk to people requiring them to have taken an oath or affirmation, I noted the legislation actually referred to a "holy book". Though a team bible got me by.

The only time I have ever had to take an oath or make an affirmation myself was, a little like SEG, joining the Army Reserve. In those days I churched hard and so I actually took the affirmation on the basis that the Bible says not to take oaths. Go figure.

bruce1937 9th February 2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

wearestardust said (Post 609050)
In a past life where I sometimes had occasion to talk to people requiring them to have taken an oath or affirmation, I noted the legislation actually referred to a "holy book". Though a team bible got me by.

The only time I have ever had to take an oath or make an affirmation myself was, a little like SEG, joining the Army Reserve. In those days I churched hard and so I actually took the affirmation on the basis that the Bible says not to take oaths. Go figure.

That is interesting, are you able to point me to the relevant passage?

Stubby 9th February 2018 11:35 AM

You didn't have to swear on the bible and the solicitor should have asked you first. I always do.

wearestardust 9th February 2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

bruce1937 said (Post 609051)
That is interesting, are you able to point me to the relevant passage?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...37&version=KJV

SEG 10th February 2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Stubby said (Post 609052)
You didn't have to swear on the bible and the solicitor should have asked you first. I always do.

I used to swear on the Bible before giving evidence as it seemed simpler, but towards the end of my career I chose the affirmation. I wonder how many deceitful people choose to swear on it to appear more truthful, or just in case the magistrate/judge is Christian?

Stubby 10th February 2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

SEG said (Post 609105)
I used to swear on the Bible before giving evidence as it seemed simpler, but towards the end of my career I chose the affirmation. I wonder how many deceitful people choose to swear on it to appear more truthful, or just in case the magistrate/judge is Christian?

There's not many jurisdictions (over here at least) where there is still an option - they just make everyone do the affirmation. I like that.

wolty 10th February 2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Stubby said (Post 609132)
Quote:

SEG said (Post 609105)

There's not many jurisdictions (over here at least) where there is still an option - they just make everyone do the affirmation. I like that.

Isn't it all kind of pointless though? Swearing on something saying you are going to tell the truth? People lie all the time. And after swearing as well. Surely this is really only around for contempt of court issues.

Why tell everyone at the very beginning 'If you lie you could be held in contempt of court, do you understand?'

SEG 10th February 2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

wolty said (Post 609141)
Isn't it all kind of pointless though? Swearing on something saying you are going to tell the truth? People lie all the time. And after swearing as well. Surely this is really only around for contempt of court issues.

Why tell everyone at the very beginning 'If you lie you could be held in contempt of court, do you understand?'

That would make a whole lot more sense.