AFA Forums

AFA Forums (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/index.php)
-   Global Atheist Convention Forum (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Atheism is not enough? (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=30865)

Don L H 20th December 2017 04:52 PM

Atheism is not enough?

Well, no one ever claimed it was enough. But cancellation of the Global Atheist Convention may indicate that boredom has set in. After all, if God is a mental delusion, then opposing such gets us back to normality, and where do we go from there?
Humanists, Rationalists, Secularists, and Freethinkers, might all have created their Societies when to 'come out' as an Atheist was dangerous, or merely socially unacceptable (see Agnostic re this). And even today you can be executed in theocratic nations.
Atheism is the answer to one philosophical question - that's all.
Hence, an Atheist's viewpoint on all other topics can range across the political spectrum, for example. Most Atheists would see themselves as 'progressives', but how much commonality does that ensure?
Presumably, a common belief in Science, it Method, and Evolution, can be assumed. Apart from that...?

stevebrooks 20th December 2017 05:50 PM

Re: Atheism is not enough?

Quote:

Don L H said (Post 605335)
Well, no one ever claimed it was enough. But cancellation of the Global Atheist Convention may indicate that boredom has set in. After all, if God is a mental delusion, then opposing such gets us back to normality, and where do we go from there?
Humanists, Rationalists, Secularists, and Freethinkers, might all have created their Societies when to 'come out' as an Atheist was dangerous, or merely socially unacceptable (see Agnostic re this). And even today you can be executed in theocratic nations.
Atheism is the answer to one philosophical question - that's all.
Hence, an Atheist's viewpoint on all other topics can range across the political spectrum, for example. Most Atheists would see themselves as 'progressives', but how much commonality does that ensure?
Presumably, a common belief in Science, it Method, and Evolution, can be assumed. Apart from that...?

I'm not sure that's true (the boredom bit that is), for instance the Trump administration in the US has seen the driver of the greatest increases in membership of the FFRF in it's history, gaining an additional 6,000 members since the election, but of course the FFRF isn't really an atheist organisation but being a freedom from religion group they mostly are.

I suspect more complacency than boredom. No blasphemy laws, LGBT rights, marriage equality, it may be that most people think the battle has been won. More fool them I say, the religious never rest, they just wait for a chance and when you think they are in decline they come back on the attack.

But you could be right that an atheist conference alone is not enough, atheists are indeed cat like (no we don't have 9 lives, but for every 9 atheists there will be 9 opinions on the same thing) and getting people like us to organise is....well lets just say difficult. :D

wolty 20th December 2017 06:52 PM

Are we drifting towards a more secular society and hence the lack of participation? Is atheism nowadays a response to anything religions do?

It really doesn't have the shock value it did years ago. Tell someone you are an atheist and the response is invariably, 'Well yes, but of course'.

142857 20th December 2017 07:40 PM

Atheism is no big deal any more, that's true. Even my most staunchly religious friends aren't too flustered by it. Sure, they tell me I'm going to hell and stuff, but they don't throw me into a fire and try to send me there early like in the good old days.

Goldenmane 20th December 2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Not by a long shot. Maybe ten or more years ago, you'd have been fairly safe to make that assumption (and indeed, I often tended to), but it's far from the case these days.

The number of people identifying as atheist but lacking the most basic grasp of science has reached plague proportions.

The Irreverent Mr Black 20th December 2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Goldenmane said (Post 605355)
Quote:

Not by a long shot. Maybe ten or more years ago, you'd have been fairly safe to make that assumption (and indeed, I often tended to), but it's far from the case these days.

The number of people identifying as atheist but lacking the most basic grasp of science has reached plague proportions.

Ethical awareness may not necessarily accompany atheism either.

stevebrooks 20th December 2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Sometimes they don't even have the mast basic grasp of atheism. :D

But yes you have a point, the question is, is that because atheists are no longer interested in science or more interestingly that atheism has reached that demographic where they were never interested in science anyway, but now instead of being theists with no interest in science they are atheists with no interest in science.

If it's the latter then I would take that as quite promising.

Goldenmane 20th December 2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

stevebrooks said (Post 605359)
Quote:

Sometimes they don't even have the mast basic grasp of atheism. :D

But yes you have a point, the question is, is that because atheists are no longer interested in science or more interestingly that atheism has reached that demographic where they were never interested in science anyway, but now instead of being theists with no interest in science they are atheists with no interest in science.

If it's the latter then I would take that as quite promising.

For my money? It's often people who literally have no desire to understand anything, but adopt the atheist label because they feel it frees them from moral or ethical obligation.

We were a little too effective in demonstrating that you don't need god to live a happy and fulfilled life, and now there's a bunch of arseholes to have it all backwards and assume that calling themselves atheists means that they are Very Smart(TM) and deserve to be happy.

hackenslash 20th December 2017 09:05 PM

The cancellation of the GAC had one critical factor behind it.

They didn't invite a fat, bald mancunian to come and swear at them.

The Irreverent Mr Black 20th December 2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

hackenslash said (Post 605367)
The cancellation of the GAC had one critical factor behind it.

They didn't invite a fat, bald mancunian to come and swear at them.

Couldn't Hack it, mate.