PDA

View Full Version : The Pope said what???

Duffy
9th March 2009, 09:55 AM
THE washing machine has had a greater liberating role for women than the pill, the official Vatican daily said in an International Women's Day commentary on Sunday.
My inner feminist and inner atheist argued about this in the shower this morning but my atheism won. This is bloody good stuff because it shows the church to be so out of date that it is losing it relevancy, especially to the young. Keep it up Popy!

BTW My inner feminist still thinks the Pill is number one in liberating women so the church can go jump. *arms folded huff*

davo
9th March 2009, 10:56 AM
I would have to say women were number one in liberating women, and there's still a ways to go ;)

balans
9th March 2009, 11:16 AM
I saw this on morning tv, the presenters openly laughed and mocked this statement. The female presenter even said "So out of touch" in reference to the vatican, nice to see on commercial tv.

Seamus
9th March 2009, 11:57 AM
BTW My inner feminist still thinks the Pill is number one in liberating women so the church can go jump. *arms folded huff*

I agree as a failed S.N.A.G.:cool:

I grew up in a one income family with clearly defined gender roles.

Imo the oral contraceptive pill was the most socially significant invention of the C20th:It led to or was important in the rise of femimism in 1960's,the two income family and the explosion of consumerism, a visible and important female persence in politcs in my country and even no fault divorce.

No longer being obliged to be baby-making machines gave women a freedom they had never before known in our society.It may have also helped some thinking Catholic women seee the irrelevance of the church.My mother,who had 4 children by 1960, simply ignored the pope on that issue as did millions of other Catholic women.

davo
9th March 2009, 12:39 PM
This is a quiet revolution, and it's happening in many individual lives. Popey doesn't really have the numbers or power he thinks, and women seem to do it in a quieter way.

No confrontation, nothing for him to rule against, rave about, or threaten. Just ignore.

It's hard to look powerful in the face of something you can't even pin down.

At the same time, I don't think the catholic church is all too worried about 'chasing up' this stuff. For sure they have an outward stance, but as to actually 'condemning' anyone that just doesn't happen unless they are outspoken, and for instance a priest causing issues.

Don't underestimate The Apostolic Church (tm) they are extremely good at maneuvering themselves within current society, since obviously, they want to keep the numbers up. Some things however of course they come across as backward .. but that won't have you 'excommunicated' for instance, it's really hard to get that, you have to work at it, basically asking for it in most cases, and even then, they will try to keep you in the fold.

Fiery
9th March 2009, 12:42 PM
Speaking of excommunicated.

Look what Pope Benadick had to say about the young 9 year old in Brazil. (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5375029)

:mad:

The mother who authorized it- excommunicated
The doctors and medical staff who performed it- excommunicated

The man who impregnanted her- NOT excommunicated.

After all he didn't kill anyone.

W T absolute FFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!

DUFFY HELP ME!!!!!! ABOUT TO LET LOOSE A WHOLE STREAM OF AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

eclectic
9th March 2009, 01:25 PM
It's all just sickening. They are SO far behind where anyone should now be. Especially in wealthy, western nations that have absolutely no reason not to have moved forward with the rest of us.

My future mother in law is "catholic" but says that the pope isn't infallible and just ignores him. I don't see how that is catholic. And I don't understand how she can affiliate herself with him at all.

Duffy
9th March 2009, 01:39 PM
My future mother in law is "catholic" but says that the pope isn't infallible and just ignores him. I don't see how that is catholic. And I don't understand how she can affiliate herself with him at all.

Hi Eclectic, I ask the same question. How can catholics justify direct disobedience of their holy leader? Sort of make him redundant doesn't it? Yet when popey came to Oz they clammered to see him. Pathetic hipocrasy. Two thumbs down.

Duffy
9th March 2009, 01:40 PM
DUFFY HELP ME!!!!!! ABOUT TO LET LOOSE A WHOLE STREAM OF AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Its ok my child....two hail marys followed by two bloody marys, I think that will do the trick;)

Fiery
9th March 2009, 04:19 PM
But I don't own a football and I'd probably tear my rotator cuff trying to throw a hail marry. Never had a bloody mary though. I just might have to order one next time I'm out. Whenever that'll be. *sigh*

SchizoDeluxe
9th March 2009, 04:35 PM
What's interesting is that these religious figures don't seem to attract much attention in the form of outcries or protests or anything. I guess if they wear a silly hat or have a title such as rev. or pope in front of their name then it's ok to say whatever you want. People can be such sheep sometimes.

Duffy
10th March 2009, 07:45 AM
What's interesting is that these religious figures don't seem to attract much attention in the form of outcries or protests or anything. I guess if they wear a silly hat or have a title such as rev. or pope in front of their name then it's ok to say whatever you want.

Perhaps indifference is the greatest form of protest:confused:

People can be such sheep sometimes.

Oh yes *sigh*