PDA

View Full Version : Risen!

Digitalos
29th September 2009, 11:01 AM
Heya, I figured this was a good spot since it's wildly off-topic.

I'm not sure if you know, but I work in the games industry and coming out soon is a game by one of my favourite developers, Piranha Bytes. :) I don't know if anyone here likes games or RPG games in particular, but Risen is looking mighty fine, and to top it off they released a trailer set to Nightwish, one of my favourite bands. So, I'm pretty biased here, but I hope you enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqgpnVEgiU).

They have also made the Gothic games, of which all bar Gothic 3 were really great. They have a sort of reputation for releasing buggy games, but they have a new publisher now and also a partner in development, so I'm hoping Risen has turned out much better and more robust.

Logic
29th September 2009, 11:16 AM
Would you say it's comparable to WOW in terms of doing quests etc? (I'm blocked from the websites about it cause I'm at work)

Digitalos
29th September 2009, 11:26 AM
Would you say it's comparable to WOW in terms of doing quests etc? (I'm blocked from the websites about it cause I'm at work)
Yeah pretty much, though I'm not sure what sort of stuff WoW has you doing as I've not played it. It's a totally different art-style though, more realistic and gritty. The Gothic games, their previous works, are well-known for their open ended quests and the world atmosphere - you often end up working for one of several factions and how you accomplish things directly affects their success. Some cool things are that in Gothic, you can choose to attack an encampment of lets say, rebels, and then when you clear them out and come back later, the orcs have moved in and have setup a little house for you and there are all sorts of merchants and stuff. It feels pretty cool to really affect the world in various ways.

As far as I know Risen is single player only though.

Logic
29th September 2009, 11:35 AM
Hmmmm I overdosed on WOW a while ago so I've stopped playing, but my partner is always looking for new PC games.

Ter
29th September 2009, 11:37 AM
Actually, I'm not much into Wow. I tried it once, and it seemed rather pointless. It was the classic hack and slash, with pretty graphics. Creatures keep spawning and wander about aimlessly in its area. Not much of role playing there.

This lack of depth in games, made me turn to muds, like Elysium-RPG, resources are finite, and they actually circulate to create an artifical economy.

I've heard alot of Gothic, and I'm really looking forward to Risen after your intro.

I just wished, that game developers will keep improving on realistic game systems.

GenericBox
29th September 2009, 08:12 PM
The only games I could be bothered playing is a FPS. I play WoW not much out of want, but more of the addiction. If I had something better to play I'd be playing it. Give me a terrorist and let me blow his head off I say.

So my next game investment will be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It looks insanely intense.

PLUS YOU GET REAL NIGHTVISION GOGGLES!!!!!! OMG!!!!!

Sir Patrick Crocodile
29th September 2009, 10:00 PM
While we're at it talking about games even though I'm not a great old gamer myself I have played the occasional Half Life 2 on the PC before. It's not too bad.

I'm actually more of a casual retro gamer. Actually I only have Battletoads and Bubsy and Flashback and maybe a few others here and there on Nintendo Entertainment System (for Battletoads) and Super Nintendo Entertainment System (for the others) consoles.

I have heard about Risen before but I am not sure what it is all about. Let's see if it suffers a Duke Nukem Forever style fate...

Digitalos
29th September 2009, 10:22 PM
The only games I could be bothered playing is a FPS. I play WoW not much out of want, but more of the addiction. If I had something better to play I'd be playing it. Give me a terrorist and let me blow his head off I say.

So my next game investment will be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It looks insanely intense.

PLUS YOU GET REAL NIGHTVISION GOGGLES!!!!!! OMG!!!!!
Wait what - you get real nightvision goggles? :O How good are they going to be, usually they cost like thousands of dollars. If you like FPS though, I can suggest looking into Singularity and Lost Planet 2 (which you can play through in coop - win! \o/ )

Digitalos
29th September 2009, 10:22 PM
While we're at it talking about games even though I'm not a great old gamer myself I have played the occasional Half Life 2 on the PC before. It's not too bad.

I'm actually more of a casual retro gamer. Actually I only have Battletoads and Bubsy and Flashback and maybe a few others here and there on Nintendo Entertainment System (for Battletoads) and Super Nintendo Entertainment System (for the others) consoles.

I have heard about Risen before but I am not sure what it is all about. Let's see if it suffers a Duke Nukem Forever style fate...
It's due to be released imminently, if something stops it coming out, there will be blood on the walls... mark my words.

davo
29th September 2009, 11:13 PM
Arma2 on my 42 inch HDTV with a radeon HD4890 and trackIR with surround sound

w00t!

Sir Patrick Crocodile
29th September 2009, 11:47 PM
I presume you get >100fps on that when you play some real hardcore solitaire on that thing?

robertkd
29th September 2009, 11:53 PM
Nah I'm still a halo fan nothing like wanted killing and destruction usually me getting killed mind you, but you get a chance to save humanity with such irony.

So how much god propaganda is in this game?

Digitalos
1st October 2009, 09:59 AM
Nah I'm still a halo fan nothing like wanted killing and destruction usually me getting killed mind you, but you get a chance to save humanity with such irony.

So how much god propaganda is in this game?
Well being an RPG there are gods to worship, like the god of magic, god of death and so on. Not really sure what you mean though.

robertkd
1st October 2009, 10:19 AM
Well being an RPG there are gods to worship, like the god of magic, god of death and so on. Not really sure what you mean though.

Ah so it's no different to the real world,...;)

Digitalos
1st October 2009, 10:36 AM
Ah so it's no different to the real world,...;)
Well it's different in that worshipping a god of magic in the real world doesn't mean you can cast fireballs... in Risen, it does. :D

atheist_angel
2nd October 2009, 12:42 AM
Is 'Digitalos Risen' meant to be an anagram for 'Sadist Religion'?

Sir Patrick Crocodile
2nd October 2009, 09:26 AM
Either that or you have missed the point of this thread. :D

Ter
3rd October 2009, 04:16 AM
Is 'Digitalos Risen' meant to be an anagram for 'Sadist Religion'?

Amazing, you're like Robert Langdon. @.@

robertkd
3rd October 2009, 04:28 AM
Well it's different in that worshipping a god of magic in the real world doesn't mean you can cast fireballs... in Risen, it does. :D

Ah I see their are benefits for the 'gods' in the game as opposed to a lack of benefit for god(s) in the real world :cool:

gruber
3rd October 2009, 10:25 AM
http://www.incgamers.com/Reviews/968/risen-review-360#

Slothhead
3rd October 2009, 07:30 PM
is this the game that is supposed to use the oblivion engine?

D