PDA

View Full Version : Hello There!

George
24th August 2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm from Wellington NZ. I'm finishing my last year at high school. (I'm 18)

I was looking for a NZ forum, but I couldn't find one, so here I am. :)

I've considered myself an Athiest/Agnostic for a long time, but its only just recently that I've felt compelled to look into it in a deeper detail. I've just finished reading "Athiest Universe" and "The New Athiesm", both which I enjoyed. (The God Delusion and a Brief history of Time are Next!) I've planned to read the bible, though I'm wondering if it's really necessary. (Looking at both sides, though it seems you really don't need to read the bible to prove its mythical.)

So yeah, I Guess I would also Definetly call myself a Skeptic, and a Humanist. :D

oh, (if you care) this happened recently:

Recently me and my Girlfriend made a Facebook Group called "the Religious Discussion Board", which Invited Both Athiests and Theists
(from our school Group and Friends)
to Come and Discuss why the believe/why they don't etc..
Unfortunately, However, It failed Completely.
Some people got Incredibly offended. None of the offendees were the Athiests though. (Big surprise there) Also, there were no "personal" attacks made either. (well, not by us anyway) the only "attacks" we made, (I prefer the word critque) were against their beliefs, and vice versa. I Found the whole thing rather amusing, but we always kept our cool. Some of the "discussions" we had with them were full of ignoring points, or changing the subject, or just bitching about how it was offensive towards them. I guess perhaps I was kidding myself a little bit about having a proper controlled discussion with thiests my age. My Girlfriend eventually took the group down as it had just got to a point of absolute insults, (nowhere near a proper discussion) and some pretty shitty things were being said.
I'm trying to convince her to put it back up, but this time with certain rules that you must follow.

Anyhows,
This Forum looks wonderful, Glad to have found it, lots of good discussion going on here from what I've seen so far. I hope to learn a lot from it. :)

Peace.

AFA Admin
24th August 2011, 03:35 PM
Hi Geeorge

This is a message sent to all who find their way to these forums.

We like people, and we like facts too!

We're friendly but we're skeptical, and if somebody calls for proof, it's not an accusation. Only the strong ideas thrive here: we try to respect people. (We do not tolerate personal abuse.)

If you're an AFA member and need your membership status recognised in forum access, please send a Private Message to Admin (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=13), including the name on your AFA membership.

You may already have visited these other handy places:
* New Member Information (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=12)
* Welcome from AFA president (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=18)
* For those interested in learning, I recommend the Atheism Resource Thread (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7608) maintained by Fearless.
* And a quick look at our reserved spot for belief-based discussion, Fantasy Island (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16), includes The Great Big List (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4784), a sort-of "things we've seen before" for those of faith, and general rules of argument for the forum.

If you've got questions, please ask. Moderators have red name tags, but many of our friendly people may have the answers you need.

Enjoy the forums. We hope to see plenty from you in discussions.

Have fun.

wolty
24th August 2011, 03:42 PM
G'day George, welcome to the forums. I hope you get a lot out of it. You never know, it may spur you on to great heights of forum management and we may visit you.

George
24th August 2011, 03:44 PM
Ahahaha Classic, Cheers Bro. :D

Annie
24th August 2011, 03:49 PM
Hiya George!
Glad you are here. On the forum that is. Not New Zealand. 'Here' for me is Oz. You are 'there'. :)

Anyhoo, enjoy the ride this great place gives. :)

King Pattalak

4lan
24th August 2011, 04:04 PM
Hi Everyone,
<snip>
Anyhows,
This Forum looks wonderful, Glad to have found it, lots of good discussion going on here from what I've seen so far. I hope to learn a lot from it. :)

Peace.

Howdo George,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll gain a lot here.

4lan

Darwinsbulldog
24th August 2011, 05:46 PM
Hi George, nice intro.

BlueDevil
24th August 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi George,

nice to have you join us on the AFA forum. NZ is a great country, must get back there soon.

I notice you say that people on your Facebook discussion found it 'offensive'. Thought you may like to have a look at this view of being offended:

cycXuYzmzNg

Onlyatheory?
24th August 2011, 08:25 PM
G'day George and welcome. I think you will fit in nicely.

@ Protium....way to make the trans Tasman noobs feel welcome:D

dilbadoon
24th August 2011, 08:29 PM
Hi George, welcome. Keep us posted on the Facebook page, sounds like a laugh!

kazzaqld
24th August 2011, 09:04 PM
Welcome George. Pass the pinky bars. :).

Logic please
28th August 2011, 01:14 AM
A late welcome to the forum George, hope you enjoy. :)

George
29th August 2011, 03:32 PM
Cheers Guys :D

Can't wait for the convention next year!

Voltairine
29th August 2011, 03:40 PM
Cheers Guys :D

Can't wait for the convention next year!

There's going to be some crowd there!

And welcome to the AFA Forums from up t'north.

Praxis
29th August 2011, 03:50 PM
Hi George, eh!

Across the ditch is close enough for you to be 'here' - we love our Kiwi bro's :)

No surprise really that your FB discussion page failed. Firstly, it was on FB. 'Nuff said ;) Secondly, the religious are always keen to have a 'discussion' about their faith because to them discussion = an opportunity to preach/evangelise/prostelytise. Start questioning them though and they pull the offended card out of the deck (also known as the hurt fawn) and start waving it around madly.

But the days of religious beliefs being above questioning are long gone, only the religous haven't yet realised it!

Anyway, hope you like it here amongst the heathens. We're not a bad bunch here.

Mr.PinkEyes
29th August 2011, 04:23 PM
Heya Georgie lad hows it? Welcome to this place young fella. Long may you stay!!!:D

Sir Patrick Crocodile
29th September 2011, 12:09 PM
Welcome George

I can't believe you North Islanders still call it New Zealand... everyone knows the South Island is the TRUE TM NZ.

heh.. ex-pat Cantabrian.. I hope you enjoy the forums Bru :)

PS They can't hear you say six or chips on a forum so go hard :)What he said. Except I'm not exactly from New Zealand.

And I would like six chips thanks Bro. :)

AUSloth
29th September 2011, 01:25 PM
G'day and welcome. Enjoy the forums at least it will get you out of the wind down there while your inside tapping and thinking.
@ Protium- don't forget the pineapple lumps.

Worldslaziestbusker
29th September 2011, 02:19 PM
and my Whittakers Peanut Slab Bru

I don't eat chups. I only eat plunkton.
And Pixie Caramel bars. Buzz Bars. K-bars.
Sugary New Zealand goodness in bar form.

OldEarther
29th September 2011, 09:45 PM
Heya George.

Hmmm - well, there's the Humanist Society of NZ - http://www.humanist.org.nz/ and there's a discussion group link on their site. There are activities/meetings (in Wellington), newsletter etc. listed on the site.
They look to be secular humanists - which I think is pretty much a term for "atheists who didn't want people planting burning crosses in their lawn when naming their association". :D

I'm about half way through the God Delusion now (and it had a link to the NZ humanists in a back appendix), and you're in for an interesting read.

As to the bible... be warned that reading it may "cause fits of unspeakable rage, explosions of tears/laugher and/or be grumpification"! That's the disclaimer sticker I think should go on the cover, anyway.
I like the skepticsannotatedbible.com (http://skepticsannotatedbible.com) - good for a bit of outrage whenever it gets a bit dull at the office.

Anyway, hope you find it interesting here and chip in comments now and again. Otherwise I'll probably get banned for mentioning a rival forum :p

Rob